Dev Blog 147: Multiple terminals and elevators

We have just been ordered to shelter in place for the next three weeks! (Orange County, CA) This social distancing is making me dying to help you out with the experimental testing for A35!!!

Who’s in the same boat as me?!

5 Likes

It’d be fun to see subway/tram system construction between terminals, just like what airports currently use.

2 Likes

But we don’t have connecting passenger so why is this necessary?

They use trams for getting between main terminals and satellite terminals. Trans aren’t used specifically for only connecting passengers… But like the devs said they are not doing trams yet. I don’t see a point in doing trams until the map gets bigger.

With all the new large stands, and large runways and restaurants, shops, check in desks, catering, trash, etc… that have come out in the past few alphas there is just not enough room to even make satellite terminals far enough away to even think about making tram connections always.

But yes in the future I would love a bigger map with the option for trams to connect Main Terminals to satellite terminals with faster transportation than walking or walkalators!

1 Like

On the topic of going iconic, it’d be fun to see a Boeing 707 and 727 in there, perhaps a DC-10 - the predecessor of the MD-11, and the converted C-47s for the small aircraft. Make a new airline and call it, “Old Birds” and give them the historic only airplanes. I recall the devs limiting implementation of aircraft liveries outside of what was available realistically and currently, but I wonder if there are liveries and models for those aircraft already built somewhere.

There are quite a few Historic livery pack created by some great moders! There is no limitation on what mods they are allowed to make.

I’d really like to put my AVgas trucks to work and see a DC-3 in there. Not really in regular service, though Buffalo Airlines still operate a scheduled service with one in Northern Canada. Certainly an iconic aircraft.

Of the more modern, the DC-9, 717 model would be great to have. I would love to see the L-1011 and L-1011-500. The Russian aircraft MC-21, and EMB-190/195.

1 Like

Question: does elevator doors can be placed on either side? example front and back also any planned different sizes - small medium large elevators?

1 Like

I would think yes. You can probably place two doors on either side as I also think the picture in the dev blog showed.

I am not sure about the different sized elevators, but I really like the idea. Many airport elevators are large, so I think it would be awesome to have a 4*4 elevator that can fit many more people than the small elevator. :star_struck: :star_struck:

on blog - there wasnt showing door on other side just all was on one side

Ok I see where you are going. Yes I don’t see another way to have another side, but maybe? My fault I interpreted it wrong. :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

The 190 is already available in ACEO.

As much of a fan of some classic aircraft as I am, something about an MD11 pulling up next to a 787 seems a little off to me. Especially if even older aircraft get added to the mix. Would be cool to be able to select which aircraft types would be allowed whenever you create a new airport. Have a list and you can put a check mark next to all or deselect older or newer aircraft as you see fit. In addition to using this to only have modern present day aircraft show up at your airport, I could see it being used to only have classic aircraft visit your airport too, have a retro airport.

The 11’s are still in active service with six (I believe) airlines albeit IRL cargo, so there is no reason why one could not be next to a 787 IRL either, unless I’m mistaken?

Form what I am finding there are actually 7 airlines that operate MD-11’s. There are 109 still flying with various passenger and cargo airlines.

1 Like

Okay, not the best example but hope the rest of my point was made. How many passenger DC10s or 707s are you going to see next to a 787. Again, not opposed to those classic aircraft just think it would look funny.

1 Like

I’m generally in agreement, and that is the oldest plane I can envision as apart of the game.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a dlc and at the start of the game you pick modern planes or classic planes

Apologies if this has been answered (reading through I didn’t see anything definitive):

Will this new update make it possible to build strictly airside terminals? The devblog made it clear that landside terminals aren’t a problem, but when you’re forcing certain objects to be included in the terminal definition (like bus stops), that makes it sound like pure airside terminals aren’t possible.

What I mean by airside terminal: a remote terminal that serves only as a gate hub, more or less. It isn’t “hard” connected to the rest of the airport. The planes only stop at the airside terminals, whereas the landside terminal does not have gates for aircraft. In real life, the landside and airside terminals would be connected by light rail, underground trams, or even tunnels / walking paths.

In the game, obviously, we’d ignore the first two possibilities and only use the last. I’ve attempted such an airport before in this game, but it doesn’t work because of staff control issues (they meander and don’t reach boarding desks in any efficient manner).

with the new cafes and restaurants, will you need display fridges?

I would assume for cafes, but maybe not restaurants, the pictures in the dev blog don’t show any display refrigerators.