Airport CEO Alpha 32 released (The Turnaround Update)

It’s not a simulation, it’s a management game.

The question for realism is answered by the fact that you can rotate objects at 90° only.
Sometimes I think this is the white elephant in the room no-one dares to address. You cannot have anything close to realistic with that fix rotation angle.

I don’t want to have 1:1 game time and wait 30+ minutes for a turnaround. I totally agree with you that the durations need to be in a good relation to each other and be balanced.
However, I’m still a fan of variable turn around times based on some factors (arrival of ramp agents, traffic jams etc as it is in the game now and later maybe weather etc)

I dare to disagree. It is a management game with simulated time, (arbitrarily?) abstracted object size, and diverse simulated airport processes inside. Also - read carefully - I also do not want to play the game in 1:1. But 1:1 timing should be the base calculation on which the other parts are compressed and displayed. If we have it as a ‘view in real speed’ mode to switch on to just enjoy the sight, then bonus. The game even simulates a full turnaround. I am simply of the opinion, that our current game time does not work because the speed and the size of the objects is neither calculated correctly or scaled evenly - this is an assumption and might be wrong. But then, when a vehicle says ‘speed 50 km/h’, it should move a distance it would be able to in 1 game minute. There is our problem. The vehicle would zoom around in our 2 seconds it takes to let 1 game minute pass if we did this, but then we had a ‘realistic’ speed and it would get to its targets in time.
Now imagine, what would happen, if we had unlocked all 4 sectors and have the fuel depot in SW sector but then the truck must return and service to NE sector. More than an hour or even 2 would pass in the game for a distance it would not need 5 minutes for. With realistic times it would manage to drive about 800 meters which is down a small runway in just one game minute. The clock ticks on relentlessly, the plane is waiting for refuel, delays and…failure. Just because the plane sticks to the flight schedule but the depending vehicles do the time-warp. We need x1 time if only for scaling the rest and a miniaturization factor for scaling objects and distances properly and relate to speed.

I don’t think we disagree.
Here we’re facing a problem known from model making that distance, mass, weight, time, stiffness etc do not scale in the same way. That’s why real water in a model looks odd and model trains have less wagons.
If time is scaled correctly, it might get boring or hectic, depending on what action you look at.

When do you think Alpha 33 will be released

I dont think we know that yet. We dont even know what will be in Alpha 33. I believe we will find out on Monday (devlog)

Last devblog mentioned what 33 will have.

1 Like

Hello all!

We’re back from a very exciting and rewarding two days of planning. We will let you in on all the secrets in Monday’s dev blog… this planning session has had our passion for this game seriously recharged and we’re super excited for the autumn ahead.

Next week we’ll make sure to deliver more updates. We’ve deployed one today on the experimental branch with a few bug fixes and some new textures!

Edit: Update is out again! Sorry about the disruption…

Release notes - Airport CEO - Version Alpha 32.11-0

Improvement

Bug

• [ACEO-16223] - Bag rendering stack can in some cases cause them to appear as blacked out
  • [ACEO-16503] - Street lights placed underneath sky bridges can in rare instances clip through roof
  • [ACEO-16515] - Unbuilt conveyor belts still accessible by baggage
  • [ACEO-16517] - Contractor pathfinding system can in scenarios with a multiple agents and long calculation paths display clustering stalling behavior
  • [ACEO-16709] - Saved games sometimes not displayed in load menu
  • [ACEO-16741] - Stairs and escalator don't update their walkable status on upper floor
  • [ACEO-16745] - Persons can now leave airport via car stops

New Feature

11 Likes

Ooh! Can’t wait to see the new textures and taxis!

2 Likes

Sad to see this one “fixed”, it saved me many times because changing some existing parts of conveyor belt would cause lots of trouble without this.

Hi Olof,

the update sounds great, but Steam does not update it. Any ideas ?

We had to roll it back, found a little bug, will see what we can do about it! Please hold short… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Sure :wink: thx for the quick reply !

Awesome update guys :smiley:

Here are some bug reports as I know that you guys love bug reports :stuck_out_tongue:

16825 [32.11.0] OBJECT-NAME.KEY.TAXI STOP
16826 [32.11.0] A REGULAR CAR SHOULDN'T TAKE 50 PEOPLE FROM CAR STOP
16827 [32.11.0] TEXTURE MISSMATCH IN BETWEEN PUBLIC VEHICLE STOPS AND SIDEWALK
16828 [32.11.0] NO TAXIS HAS BEEN SPAWNED
16829 [32.11.0] "$$$ FANCY MAT" TEXTURE BORDERS CAN BE SEEN EASILY
16830 [32.11.0] 90 DEGREES TAXIWAY TURN LANE DOESN'T SHOW UP
16833 [32.11.0] NO MATTER WHAT I DO THIS BELT REFUSES TO STRAIGHT UP WITH OTHER BELTS

Alpha 32.11 is live again. Please disregard the previous version as it was very, very incomplete…

4 Likes

On uh, experimental?

Agreed.

New bug in new version: ACEO-16842
After the update, conveyor belt turns direction if another conveyor belt is on lower floors (thus making it impossible to reach some of my baggage bays). Removing and rebuilding doesn’t help.

3 Likes

I have this same issue now my checkin desks lose there baggage path no matter what I do to replace the belts

Currently there seems only one way to solve it: Make sure there’s no point where the belt is on several floors. Not that easy to change it on a large, long grown airport though.

I’ll have to do that as a temporary fix until the bug is picked up not a massive issue luckily in my airport but can imagine it will be in others