Separating arrivals from departures

How do I stop passengers who have checked in but not departed yet, from stealing the bags from the conveyors? There doesn’t seem to be a way of separating departures from arrivals?

Similarly passport control. Emigrants mix in the same space as immigrants.

Give them their own passport control and security control exits.

I’m not sure they’re erroneously grabbing bags. Have you witnessed it? Bags are attached to people.

I’m not saying they did. It’s just that they can. :slight_smile: if they chose to.

OK this is a game, but it’s also a simulation, and in every airport I have visited, the pubic → airside route for departures, and the airside → public route for arrivals at an airport are always physically separate from one another.

Not for domestic flights though.

Olof will say: this is not a simulation game, it is a tycoon game etc… :joy:

3 Likes

Remember in US it is normal for domestic baggage to be in a “public” zone. It is more a matter of isolating any hold baggage out of the departures area beyond security.

Or it is a customs issue to ensure nothing naughty in a bag can be grabbed by a stranger whilst the passenger is stopped and questioned about their plans at the borden checkpoint prior to reclaim. A customs check acts as a one way exit from reclaim to the truly public area :wink: this isn’t possible in ACEO to avoid over complicating.

It always depends on infrastructure and the destinations served at an individual airport for what the requirements are. Domestics reclaim often is public area (EU airport rules differ), whilst international will be sandwiched between Immigration checks > reclaim > customs checks > exit to public area

So in the US, I could check into a domestic flight, go to the baggage pickup area, not take my flight, and instead walk out through security with somebody else’s bag?

When I (as a non-US citizen) fly to the US from Europe. I have to pick up my bag, then take it somewhere else, and drop it again, for additional scans., then go through immigration, then go to pick up my bag again, then go through customs.

Good luck to the devs simulating that!

Just enter the domestic terminal, grab a bag and leave. Welcome to the US.

4 Likes

I (EU Citizen) was in Miami in Februrary.
there I went through immigration first and after that I get my baggage (Same as in Japan, Germany and I bet nearly everywhere else).

the Baggage in Miami was also open to all, even though it was an international flight. But it was my first US-trip, don’t know how the other US-Airports handle that. Miami seems to be a pretty old airport.

I’m not saying they did. It’s just that they can. :slight_smile: if they chose to.

OK this is a game, but it’s also a simulation, and in every airport I have visited, the pubic → airside route for departures, and the airside → public route for arrivals at an airport are always physically separate from one another.

Gotcha. I’m with ya on the intent. I usually deliberately separate them. you can do it the easy way and just make the baggage claim secured. The trouble is, bathroom and shop/cafe duplication. gotta give people something to buy while they wait. Recently though, I have noticed, passengers will arrive and proceed immediatley to the check in desk and leave the arrival area, so that may make the task much easier.

yes. This happened to me. My bag looked the same as someone else. I grabbed the bag but when I got to the hotel I saw it was not mine. Someone else had it - we sorted it out and met back at the airport to exchange our bags.

It’s a terrible system - there is no check of bags being picked up on domestic flights in Canada or in the USA.

I think on every airport this can happen as long there isn’t someone at the exit who really checks if your bag fits to the number of your baggage receipt. (Like they do in Mexico).
A friend had this mismatch even in Shanghai.

I think on every airport this can happen as long there isn’t someone at the exit who really checks if your bag fits to the number of your baggage receipt. (Like they do in Mexico).
A friend had this mismatch even in Shanghai.

In the US, no one gives a hoot… honestly, I’m floored that thieves haven’t figured this out, yet they will steal amazon packages off door steps… maybe the mere presence of the security is enough deterrent…

I think there is some kind of security checking for people sneaking around the baggage claim. … Try it and you will see… :rofl:

1 Like

One way of implementing this in game would be to have (optionally) an arrivals gate for a stand, in addition to a boarding gate. Essentially that’s how it works in the real world.

I’ve never seen that, except on remote stands when the bus drops you close to the arrivals hall, and you already can do that in ACEO.

Most airports I go to, you arrive in the main concourse mixing with departing passengers. Only international flights separate you, and that is not consistent either between airports.

My flights begin in the UK, and I’ve travelled domestically, and to European Union, Eastern Europe, Carribbean, US, Russia. The baggage pickup inbound is physically separated from the outbound passengers, without exception.

Outbound

Public area (shops/restaurants) → checkin+baggage → security → passport (international only) → shared domestic and international airside , more shops/restaurants/lounges (must show international boarding pass to buy duty-free) → boarding

Inbound

Unboarding → passport (international only) → baggage pickup (domestic and international sometimes separate from one another) → customs (international only) → Public area (shared with Outbound)

I appreciate that this might not be the same in all countries, but it would be great if the game supported this model.

1 Like

The problem is this is one of many possible configurations of airports around the world. Even in the UK I can name airports that don’t follow the above flow, particularly the smaller ones (and until the last extension was completed a couple of years ago, domestic baggage at Edinburgh was landside and publicly accessible).

The only way to completely separate inbound baggage from outbound passengers would be with one way doors (or multiple type of secure exit), but the devs have already ruled that out due to the pathfinding issues it would create.

1 Like

You are spot on about how in UK we segregate particularly baggage reclaim always being in secured middle ground (sandwiched securely as Immigration > Baggage Reclaim > Customs). Domestic routes will have one way doors in those same positions just without any need for a desk or actual checkpoint, usually it is nothing more than a chain of automatic doors and cameras :slight_smile:

In UK we tend to only scan boarding cards to proceed to security, with no border checks until gate. No ID checks, just a valid ticket for that day. The departures immigration element is usually part of boarding at the gate, simply due to as many of you have said the departures area is mixture of domestic and international.

It also comes down to simply in Europe the international network is almost always much more significant than domestic, whilst in US.

I think the overriding request here is some way of isolating baggage reclaim areas. It is is easy for international, can just sit it between the immigration checkpoint and the secure exit. For domestic it gets less simple :wink:

1 Like