Separating arrivals from departures

That’s the fact… This discussion here is interesting but at the end, Craig’s “sandwich” is the most common solution around the world.
Baggage claims are after immigration and/or a security exit (like the one in game). Officially it is in non-secure area but separated by the customs check which makes it a one-way system.

That little piece is missing in the game and as long as it is, there is either a mix between arrivals/departures within secured area or within the public area.
Except you design the airport layout to make it totally unattractive for arrivals and departures to enter the other section even if there is a way.

1 Like

I have rarely seen anything like a food joint or shop anywhere between arrival gate and front foyer of an airport; personally, once my plane touches down, the over-riding desire I have is to get to a toilet, then to my eventual destination, whether that be home or holiday hotel. I can wait to eat then.

ACEO PAX seem to want to eat and shop whatever they are doing, and that seems to drive the non-realistic pathfinding that is making the separation of departures and arrivals difficult for some of us, particularly where non-international terminals, and those using Level 0 boarding gates, are in use…

I find many times I build the first terminal with the small stands, once I build the Baggage Claim area the departing PAX will sit in there, rather than the copious seating at the gates themselves, despite me using the same (gate) seating. If I put the settee seating in the Gate area the PAX waiting on their baggage will sit there rather than in Baggage Claim, so you just can’t win. This build, I’m putting settee seats in a large seating area on Level 1 near the cafe and shop and paring back on the baggage claim seating. If they sit in one central area they won’t be encroaching on the area they shouldn’t be in…

Ok, in Europe sometimes you are forced to walk throug an arrival duty free shop after the security exit and before the baggage claim belts. (only accessible for passengers leaving though the security exit)… I hate those.

1 Like

Not only in Europe. It reminds me arriving in Melbourne T2 (international) in Australia, but there the duty free shop is yet before immigration, baggage claim and customs/quarantine and you can’t miss it, unless something changed lately. It’s available only to arriving passengers. I don’t know if they make many sales there, because I haven’t seen any co-passengers stopping by, but these were ~14 hours flights, so they probably wanted to get outside as fast as me, instead of shopping at airport. Maybe shorter flights get them more sales and that’s why they designed it this way.

On the other hand, domestic terminals there, or at least some of them have baggage claims in completely public area, and you see carousels right next to 2-way entrances/exits of the arrivals, which you may pass even if your destination is actually departures (on the level above).

Does this have anything to do with arrivals vs. departures? :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.