Dev Blog 147: Multiple terminals and elevators

@Olof This could be a great addition and could be published with other bug fixes.

1 Like

Brilliant devblog guys. This is going to be a huge update to the game. Just need a nifty transit system between the terminals now :grin:

But, to the best of my knowledge (please correct me if I am wrong) the MD-11 is no longer used by any passenger airlines, so why is it being included in the game?

MD-11! YEAH! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Great devblog as usual. I know you won’t give us an estimated release date (which I totally understand), but could you give us an “at least” estimate? Like “at least two more weeks/three more months/five more years of development”?
The anxiety is too high.

1 Like

Everyone please stop asking developers for date of release of update, it will came out as soon as it’s ready for experimental release

2 Likes

Am I reading correctly between the lines that there will be no customs as of now?

I’m not asking for a release date, I’d just like to have an estimate of how much work needs to be done before the release, because I’m like “maybe next week would be” since nearly three months. They can said “at least one more month” and then release the update after two months. Is not to know when is going to be released, is to know when is NOT going to be related.

2 Likes

Correct. No customs for the moment. Just passport control.

I suppose it might be ‘difficult’ to see the problem with bus stops, so let’s consider a more bulky transit structure; the parking lots. I would like to build a central area with parking lots somewhere to the side, and give PAX the option to choose which terminal they go to. Each transit structure not assigned to a specific terminal should be able to service all terminals.

Similarly I could have a large airside parking area in a central area not assigned to a terminal, and I would like them to be able to service terminal items. IF I choose to use the terminal system, I would either paint everything as a terminal, and divide the whole airport, or nothing. I would only not-paint structure if I would like them to be communal items.

In terms of real life examples, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol has a system kind of like this, except I believe they only separate the check-in desks into ‘terminals’ and have a communal secure zone. Surely it makes sense to get off at T1 if you fly from T1, but you could also get off at T3 and walk to T1 if that is somehow more convenient.

2 Likes

Great blog! Really love the MD-11 :heart_eyes_cat: Have flown it once and happened to be my first ever business class (not the last) flight :relaxed: So looking forward to have that bird in game!!

Very exited about the ton of new stuff to work with in A35, will take several hours to get the hang of all of that I guess. A lot to explore, learn and enjoy! Really impressed by the speed you guys implement lots of new complex stuff!

Please stay safe yourselves as well, especially with the little man!!

4 Likes

Do you have any further information about the check in desk/kiosk/drop off calculation?

• are ticket kiosks and bag drops open for all flights or assigned to a specific flight?
  • will there still be one check in desk per 75pax open or will that split up with the new options?
  • will small aircrafts or less filled flights prefer the smaller check in desks?

@Olof

1 Like

By tiered check in desks, does this mean we’re able to toggle whether a check-in desk or bag drop is for economy class passengers only, business class passengers only, or both?

Well we need some thermometers to buy also then :joy: @EvanTheCEO

I feel like doing a multi terminal without transportation between the terminals is missing the point. If you are doing multi terminals there should be buses and trains between the terminals like in real life. Also tranposrtation between parking lots and the terminals is also somthing we will require with the multi terminals feature.

1 Like

Let’s start with one part.I think for parking transportation we need more space. And as long we do not have connecting flights, no transportation between terminals will be used anyway.

I like to use a separate terminal for example my small planes/gates.

For now we can use the travilators to transport them around

1 Like

Long term parking lot is very farway from the airport and usually has a bus system to tkae people from parking to the terminal. There are already airside shuttle buses, so it wont be hard to implement.

finally, elevators
YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

1 Like

Parking lots can’t be built far away from the airport anyway because the map size is limited. Transportation between terminals would look nice but currently nobody would use it. If connecting passengers are to come we might need things like that but I’d say one step after the other. For now I would like them to focus on things that are actually useful now.

Having the ability to quickly transport passengers and staff between buildings would be incredibly useful for anyone who tries to build airports with remote concourses like London Heathrow or Atlanta. For example, the airport below usually encounters delays and passengers that miss their flight at the concours on the left. The gates on the right side of the image function perfectly, since they are much closer to the security and check-in desks.

A subway that runs from the terminal on the right, to the concours on the left would help tremendously, as would the ability to assign staff to only work that concourse.

4 Likes