[ACEO-39211] Text labels missing Mac Apple M1 chip?

Hey ! I’m the one who pushed an issue this afternoon :wink:

I have a M1 so I’m ready to test if you want me to test. How ?

@bastien

Yes, saw it. But @Alexander is looking for someone to test, so I propose.

Play on to the experimental branch (right click on ACEO in your Steam library => Properties => “Betas”-tab => Select Experimental (no access code needed)). Then make sure you removed (if once entered) the launch option -force-glcore from the application. That’s all, simply report back on if the UI looks like it should or if it’s still bad. :mag_right: :bug:

The fix hasn’t yet been deployed, but I’ll let you know when it drops :slight_smile:

UPDATE: Fix deployed

Everything was working well (almost well in fact, except some graphics bugs on grass stands for example) with the “-force-glcore” option and beta 7.1-1 yesterday.

With beta 7.1-2, without any options, bug is back. I’m so sorry for you @Alexander :frowning:

If I set back the “-force-glcore” option with beta 7.1-2, strings are back.

1 Like

Thanks for testing :medal_sports: We will simply need to investigate some more

1 Like

So we’ve ordered an M1 MacBook in order to deal with this, will be awhile before we get it an can set everything up but do rest assure that we will solve this. Will keep you posted in this thread and hopefully solve it before the 1.0 release.

5 Likes

This just shows these guys dedication… Ordering a new MacBook to get a bug fixed!

1 Like

Well, Apple will most likely drop the Intel CPU in a not too distant future meaning all Macs will run on the M chips, so if want to be able to continue supporting the macOS platform we do need a machine like this. Plus, it does look like it’s a lot better than the current Intel generation, so I’m not really complaining… :wink:

3 Likes

We’ve located the issue and will push a fix either part of tonight or tomorrow’s experimental update.

3 Likes

How’s the new machine?

1 Like

FAST. The previous one (now in Fredrik’s possession) starts to sweat when you build the project library, emulating the sound of a jet engine. This one didn’t even start its fans… :thinking: … and that’s even on Rosetta as the Unity editor is not a native M1 application yet.

Incredible improvement almost worth the money, but being able to solve this bug so quickly as we expected is the real treat! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

From another M1 user. Really appreciate the effort that is going into solving this issue.

5 Likes

Unfortunately we have found the root cause of this issue to be Unity related and not an error on our part. A shader relating to the heatmap rendering is not handled correctly by the engine and that causes the text labels to disappear, it sees to be some sort of parsing issue when running the game on the specific combination on Apple M1 and Metal and the various exceptions we’ve tried does not solve the issue.

Will reach out to Unity to try and get this fixed but it’ll probably take some time before we can find a solution.

3 Likes

Thanks guys for the effort you have put into this! Really appreciated that you support the Mac users so well compared to other game studios :heart_eyes_cat:

I was looking at an M1 as a replacement for my current MBP and your enthusiasm helps to take away some doubts on the speed level. But I’ll probably wait until the 15" will be available, so have to wait until the end of 2021… :crying_cat_face: Enjoy yours and please keep us posted now and then on your experiences. :smile_cat:

4 Likes

Uhm, I am not sure but we appear to somehow have solved the issue. Can anyone else than me with an M1 machine test the latest experimental version? Remember to remove the force GL option if you were running it with that.

4 Likes

Will have my new one later tonight.

2 Likes

Hey! I have a new M1 Macbook Pro and I just tested it with the force GL option removed and all the text is there that I can see. Everything seems to be in working order. Here is a screenshot.

4 Likes

That’s great! We did a bunch of shader changes and some extensive testing so I guess that effort must have counted for something. We’ll keep this topic open if any additional issues should arise! :slight_smile:

We’ve seen some new reports sent us to in bug form that some texts are still not displaying, however we cannot confirm this on our end. Is anyone here still experiencing issues?

1 Like