Weird airport features

Right so let’s see what weird airport features there are out there.

I’ll start with this this

Gisborne airport has an active railway intersecting the runway

3 Likes

Speaking of vehicles crossing runways, Gibraltar’s airport has a highway crossing through it… Gibraltar International Airport - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Filton Airfield in the North of Bristol (UK) had a freight line from the London main line to the harbour at Avonmouth running between the runway and the BAe hangars.

The taxiway level crossing is just to the left of the small circular area to the left of the runway…

Photo (C) The Times (London) reposted under ‘Fair use’. Original in this article: Filton airfield to fly again as housing and tech hub

PS. Yes, that is a Concorde (G-BOAF) mid left above the hangars…

4 Likes

G-BOAF was the last concorde flying. I wish that I could’ve been on a concorde

2 Likes

If you want to be a thrill seeker, try Princess Juliana International airport in Saint Maarten (SXM). Maho beach, right in front of the runway has planes flying really low overhead on their final approach.

3 Likes

There’s also the infamous (and now defunct) Kai Tak Airport, which had Boeing 747s turning right over Kowloon’s skyscrapers. People who flew on those flights say that they were so close, they could see what people were watching on their televisions inside the apartments.

3 Likes

Y do any of these places exist?

1 Like

How about luka airport in nepal your only there to go to Mount Everest and the airport is on a mountain. Probably has nice view.https://images.app.goo.gl/5SzTcCTJu3sgeejh9

2 Likes

@Chris88, try putting this in #aviation-talk, as #uncategorized is designed to not show up in places.

1 Like