Waste depot emptying

The number of waste depots is crazy. Imagine how many additional stands you could place if you can use all that space. :slight_smile:

2500pcs of waste already covers 5 fully loaded A380. So I think the issue is at the complicated ways either for the service trucks and the ones which come to empty the depots.

Can you drop your savegame to the Workshop and link it here? (The upload button is in the loading menu)
I would really like to check the paths the trucks have to drive.

1 Like

Steam link

2 Likes

Very busy airport. Even my computer struggles a bit with that many stuff ongoing. :slight_smile:
But nice to see how much you can get out of the game on a default sized map.

@Olof: could it be, that the airport doesn’t provide more than 5 garbage truck shipments at the time for ALL waste depots?
It really looks like that. I can’t find more than 5 trucks at once even with several full depots.

Regarding the airport layout:

I see you have only one world entrance. So the best performing waste depots are those close to that entrance.
The others at the top of the airport have a huge distance to drive. Means they stay full for a very long time.
Waste trucks have to drive all the way down to empty or stay full and cannot serve more planes.

For the moment, I have closed all those depots at the top.

I have also closed all the bus and car stops. As at this size of the airport, they cannot handle the masses of arrivals and get more or less only decorative. So I’ve built more subway stops. This lowers the number of arrival passengers more than 2k and helps for the calculations. :slight_smile:

This also clears traffic at the only world entrance and allows the garbage trucks to arrive faster. Due to the big backlog of other cars, they surely got delayed.

Also paths are still complicated long. The checkpoint at the bottom doesn’t work (maybe due to the one way line). So the trucks use the red marked way.

Maybe a help for your: You can build the checkpoints underground and prevent turnarounds. Now I’ve made it that way:

Same applies for world entrance tunnels. Those can be built underground as well. That would allow you to build more on the other side of the airport.

Surely still not perfect. Just a minor improvements for the flow.

In my case, I do plan the locations of waste depots and also catering at the beginning of the constructions and make sure, they don’t have to cross much of the other traffic at the airport.

2 Likes

Alright thanks alot! I actually didnt know those items could also be built underground so i’ll have a look at what I can improve!

2 Likes

There’s a limit of five shipments requests per waste depot and indeed also a limit as to how many active waste depot pickup trucks there can be in the world. So yes, you’ll never have more than five active waste depot pickup trucks at the airport at one time - a limit we’ve set together with a bunch of other limits in order to ensure that the congestion you’re experiencing is primarily not on the road network which is the one thing we want to avoid above all else as that can grind your airport to a halt. Instead you correctly identify, these waste depots should be placed more efficiently to allow for a better pickup execution.

Are the vehicles intelligent enough to select the closest world entrance or do they choose one which is just not too busy?

The dispatching system takes depot urgency, depot reachability from world entrance and depot distance to suitable road checkpoint into account. Not sure I would call them “intelligent” but they’re in fact trying to solve some really difficult problems and the current solution is kind of a “best considering everything” we were able to develop withing the existing feature stack. Obviously I haven’t checked this save and there’ll always be some configurations in which it doesn’t perform optimally but then you’re at a point where it makes more sense to configure your airport to the system rather than the other-way around.

2 Likes

I am now wondering if I have run into the same issue as my airport has expanded from one to four Terminals (88 Large Aircraft Stands)

How many (daily) passengers do you have?

I am now at 170,000

I coloured all the Aircraft Cabin Cleaning Trucks as black, so they were easy to spot
However, after watching the Waste Depot I never saw a removal truck!

All 16 Waste Depots are now stuck at 100%

Silly me
Just watched again and the parking bays were full
Adding the (required) 16 Waste Depots corrected the ratio

2 Likes

I am still monitoring mine

The external waste removal is 500 units on each visit which takes one hour
Therefore overnight (23:00 to 06:00) all my depots are emptied

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.