Single digit FPS

I know its EA and all, but this is a bit ridiculous. Getting those SimAirport vibes all over again.

System:
Win7
i7 3930k Sandy Bridge OC’d to 5.1Ghz
32GB RAM
GTX 980Ti

I know it is worrying. Ive got a Mac so not a massive gaming computer but it worked fine the first day or so, sadly it seems to have got worse with the patches.

Im very concerned the game will actually turn out to be unplayable for me, after following for so long its a bit depressing.

I hope it does improve or something can be done.

4 year old MBP 13" (i7 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 1.5GB Iris graphics) and getting 10-15 fps on a 12 stand, 2 runway, 600+ pax airport. Actually, given the nature of the game, it’s surprisingly tolerable. I think I’m at the limit of a lot of interaction, though. Now it’s more watch and tweak.

Well this airport gets 3-2 FPS so don’t even try to build such a mistake I did like this:

http://forum.apoglabs.com/uploads/db1788/original/2X/b/b80cfc27091610d8e348fc2228c4f2c5c2a57ba3.jpg

But if you wanna try to play this airport :wink:

Something tells me that FPS/performance issues will plague this game throughout the dev cycle. Love to be proven wrong, but I have a sinking feeling to be honest.

There is a reason Unity has never been utilized as an RTS engine, its simply incapable.

1 Like

There seems to be a real difference for each person. I’m running a 4 medium gate, 5 small gate and 15 GA stands with baggage and approx 600 PAX with only minor slow down when fully zoomed out or placing large foundations. When zoomed in runs like a dream.

1 Like

I’ve spoken about this a couple of times before and I’d like to take the opportunity to address it again.

There’s a reason that unlocking worlds is not supported yet and it has to do with performance challenges. Someone asked me if we will forever be restrained by Unity and if this game is doomed forever in terms of building large airports. Well, yes and no. We are in many ways limited by Unity and the game engine’s basic issue of lacking proper multi threaded rendering and ACEO as a game having a lot, a lot, a lot of objects to render but that doesn’t mean that we can’t make notable improvements to the current rendering state. In terms of script optimization we have done quite a lot and our scripts are pretty much spike free except for some building functions as correctly pointed out (we know how to mitigate these), although we have some optimizations left to do in regards to unnecessary GC collection and other. But it also comes down to what we render, and how, as well as what shaders we use and when. We have had very little time to optimize, and honestly came in with a limited knowledge of optimization when it comes to rendering and I both hope and know that there are a lot we can do here to improve the current state, as well as including an external consultant to help us out.

I don’t know exactly how much we’ll be able to improve the rendering aspect, but I can promise you that we will do as much as physically possible. Cities Skylines may have a team of tens of developers (don’t know how many they are really) and they’ve achieved great results using Unity (although their dev environment is of course vastly different). While it is impossible to say how far we’ll be able to go, I really think that aiming for anything less than the best rendering optimization is acceptable. We’re gonna continue down the rendering optimization road by thoroughly enabling LOD, testing sprite meshing technologies (we’ve used it before but there’s always a discussion around pros and cons of having a lot of draw calls versus a lot of verts to render) and writing way cheaper night light shaders. I’d like to prove you wrong and we will do our best to do so.

6 Likes

So shall we expect performance improvements than new features?

I would totally agree on that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, really? Feel free to go off on a tangent and not address the questions at hand.

Olof’s post contains a shit-load of suppositions and potentials. We may or may not be able to fix it. We may or may not be able to improve the renders. We may or may not be able to stabilize the frames. I mean what the fuck Olof, did you guys properly play-test this game prior to launch, or did you just toss code into the ring via Steam and hope for the best?

Nothing you’ve said is particularity reassuring. In fact, its the extreme opposite of it. Again, I’m getting that SimAirport vibe.

I can understand why you feel that way. And i don’t think anything Olof says can change that at this time :slight_smile: They have a lot on their plate and fixing critical bugs is just a higher priority than performance.
It is what it is. That doesn’t mean it won’t change, but at this time, performance is not the highest on their list.

It has been tested and it was confirmed as being an area of attention.

I expect to have some improvements in this area after the first flood of bugs has been addressed. :slight_smile: No guarantees, since no one knows what will come.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a politicians answer, I know and it’s the only one I can give right now but then again you did not really ask any questions.

Here’s my response without all the bullshit: Performance improvement is not at the top of our priority list right now but we will look into the terminal foundation issue as it’s been addressed in multiple threads. Our scripts are quite good but more can (and will) always be done, our rendering of large amounts of objects is quite bad. We will try our best to improve rendering performance over the coming development of the game but let us at least try before you cast judgement.

If you do not like the game and have played less than two hours you are welcome to refund it, you can also leave a negative review to make your voice heard. We’re taking your criticism seriously and will embed it with everything else moving ahead! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

If I didn’t like the game I wouldn’t have invested 100+ hours into it, Olof.

Regardless of statistics, which apparently you find all too consuming as evident by your post, it doesn’t negate the fact that it (your game) has serious performance issues. Perhaps instead of attempting to justify yourself to me, others, and the community as a whole via this post, your time would be better spent fixing these problems? I mean you are a developer after all.

Seriously, enough with the passive aggressiveness.

He acknowledges there are performance issues, but do you really believe that slow game play is more important than no game play?
No justification, just the reality at this time.
Everyone would have liked to see it differently, but it is what it is.

Now please take it down a notch and have a normal conversation

6 Likes

I am having the exact same issue on my Mac. Worked fine the first few days. Now it’s become unplayable. I can barely move around, and after a few minutes I can’t even click on anything anymore. Very annoying… was looking forward to this game and thought it might do everything better SimAirport fell short on. Now I feel it might never even get to the level of SImAirport (which isn’t that good to start with).

Totally Unnecessary last post dcord.

If fear that Olof may now ignore the two posts on here that raise the same concern, in a more pleasant way.

Myself and the poster above comment that it was fine for the first few days but has got worse, so enquiring as to whether this was a potential bug or just temporary as you tweak around.

1 Like

I’m not an expert on game optimisation at all, but I’ve been voluntary tester under nda for other projects and I’ve had the chance to talk with people who really know about the topic and learnt a lot from them and from investigating myself.

Given the nature of your game, I think that with such a huge amount on entities being rendered GPU Instancing might be one of the best ways to relieve GPUs on medium and lower-end machines, it’s built-in in Unity from 5.4 but I don’t know if it can be used on 2D projects. Texture Atlas are also a very good solution to avoid loading and unloading small textures continuously from the GPU memory, with the overhead of having to pack and unpack the textures for changes but I don’t know if you’re already using them.

For anyone interested on learning more in-depth about game optimisation I’d recommend reading this: Fixing Performance Problems - Unity Learn

2 Likes

No, I’m never going to ignore anything. A little criticism is always refreshing and of course very important.

So, one of many performance improvements have now been pushed, looks like it made a notable difference for some people. We of course have more in stock and these will be rolled out over time! :slight_smile:

1 Like