Possibility to fork to Wiki.gg?

Has any discussion went into looking into moving to Wiki.gg ? Fandom is going nowhere sadly when it comes to injecting ads and videos to the wiki articles. Half your screen is taken up by the top ad banner.

Fandom firing all of old Gamepedia staff, Gamepedia wikis most likely have 0 say on changes in the future and how the changes affect the wikis (like discussion boards, which they could turn it on default at any given time).

Of course, money isn’t an issue at Fandom since they bought GameSpot/GiantBomb/Metacritic and have Fanatical for game revenue, but they still inject countless ads for everyone taking up bandwidth.

Just a thought to maybe have for the future.

Unfortunately that seems like a lot of work that we for the moment cannot spare, perhaps in the future we could look into some type of consolidation (including the new title) to a platform that we feel comfortable going forward with.

And maybe getting some more interest/work/links to the wiki? :wink:

Well, it’s really up to anyone to continue to add to the already existing wealth of knowledge! :smiley: The tutorial today is very well compensated with an extensive amount of YouTube tutorials and such so I do not believe that perhaps the wiki is where it makes most sense to spend time with now… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

On one hand, I see what you mean, the tutorial and youtube videos make for an excellent guide and a thorough tutorial. On the other hand, many games have a similar situation but also have a good wiki, which is very heavily used. Look at Stardew Valley for example. They have a ton of youtube guides but also an amazing wiki that is everyone’s first source of info about the game. That would be great for ACEO, but I see the immense effort it would take. I may get back into working on the wiki though… :smile:

Certainly very true, but Stardew Valley is an almost infinitely larger game than Airport CEO which is, in fact, quite small! :laughing: And that said, any contribution you or anyone else makes is both needed and highly appreciated! :pray:

1 Like

So in recent light many people left Fandom.

Minecraft is also in talks: Minecraft Wiki:Moving from Fandom – Minecraft Wiki

Possible to finally move the wiki to wiki.gg to avoid Fandom. @humoresque

What is the actual benefit for all the effort? Will fandom close?
And why not even add a free MediaWiki without ads to the Apog Labs Server? (As co-founder/admin of AnnoWiki I have to ask :smiley: )

Less ads, better mobile experience. Along with that wiki.gg allows Apoglabs to advertise games on the wiki service which means it benefits both the game and wiki.’

Fandom due to their backlash against the community of editors, selling your data to Facebook and harassment towards editors, it’s not a platform wikis want to be on anymore.

Fandom wiki can’t close until Apoglabs emails Fandom to close it. Community themselves can’t do it

Moving the actual Wiki is not something we can help with but should the wiki find a better place we’ll certainly assist with shutting down the old version, should that be in everyone’s best interest.

As the main (and only active) wiki admin, I definitely support such a move. I am currently not able to put in the time necessary to make the move successful. However, I’ll likely start the process when I have time which I can put into the wiki. This could also be combined with a few updated pages (like what we did with baggage) and new main pages, could give the wiki a better look without the reputation of being outdated and old.

Yeah, I think the biggest effort is to validate how up-to-date each page is. Is it worth to be moved, does it needs to be updated and how much has to be changed.

1 Like