Plane does not clear the stand: Taxi Traffic Rules

I think it’s a problem with airplane traffic.
I often have the problem, that a plane which is finished with ground handling still sits on the stand. Its status is “Found a path to destination”, but it won’t go, while the next plane does not land because the stand is still occupied.
First of all, where in the world can a plane not land because the stand is not cleared??

I suspect the plane does not leave the stand because it waits for other planes on taxi.
IMHO both rules are wrong. A plane leaving the stand must have priority to others, just because it wants to make space for the others. and a plane needing to land must no be refused to land because the stand is not cleared.

1 Like

Here is my input on it Taxi priority

I 100% agree

Yeah I remember that. The picture taken at night… Cannot reply there any more.

I guess the paths are computed when the object (plane, vehicle, or person) starts to move and therefore have problems to deal with changes that arise later (like other objects getting in the way). If that’s the case, maybe some kind of waypoints where the computed path is checked again could help.

Because when the plane starts to move, it has no clear idea of where the other planes (or any obstacles) will be at a later point of time. So, whenever a plane is starting to wait for something, the plane position is a waypoint where to re-check the path and also determine who has to wait.
But this is all speculation.

What we can observe is, planes waiting for planes too far away to wait for, and that causes many problems.

BTW, it is CLOSED and we can’t vote for it. Anyway, it’s not a feature to vote for, it’s a bug.

My understanding is that taxiing/ATC will be looked at in future (I assume as part of the beta phase)

Future is okay. :slightly_smiling_face:

Today it’s a show-stopper for me.

I also said that before, planes pathfinding need alot of improvment, I had many issues with planes on a side of the airport waiting for others years away from the position where they were waiting. Mostly when a plane aquire a path to its destination it will only proceed if the path is clear all the way, and other will just wait aside keeping that path clear not caring about the distance of the moving plane at all.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.