"Pass-through stands"

Hey,

Following up on ideas about new class of stands (regional operations) maybe it would make sense to implement the stands as pass-through - meaning that if only a taxiway is connected in front, aircraft could leave the stand without pushback or turnaround.

Example from EPWA (Warsaw Chopin):

8 Likes

Would be great idea!

Isn’t it WAW?

Yes, why he told it’s WAW (EPWA)

1 Like

I’ve been there. Have you?

Flying from WAW every 2 weeks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, are you talking about a “self maneuvering exit” stand? That would be great!

Good idea! :grinning:
But planning how this will be attached is difficult in my mind.

1 Like

We would not need full flexibility IMHO. It would be enough to have a taxi path on “top” of the stand just as it is on the “bottom”. Diagonals are overcomplicated in the above schema, usually for aircafts of a higher size class.

@kjurczenia I like your suggestion. Especially because it goes hand-in-hand with an idea someone shared on this Forum a while ago. It’s about having a rather “generic” area as a parking area for GA instead of having fixed and “dedicated” stands.

With your idea, we could do the same. Instead of having a dedicated stand, one could simply create a large area of TARMAC and “draw” aircraft stands onto there. When you define a “holding point”, the system will then automatically generate all necessary markings on the ground based on the aircraft size you would like this stand to cater for.

2 Likes

Many rather small airports have self maneuvering stands for medium aircraft as well, which basically work like the small stands ingame do right now. For example take a look at Iraklion airport (HER/LGIR). Something like that should definitely be implemented because it not only saves the costs for a pushback truck in general, it would also allow for medium sized turboprop aircraft like the Saab 340, Jetstream 41 or EMB 120, which would never get a pushback in real life but don’t fit into current small stands.

1 Like

This concept could work with the suggested ‘Custom’ stands, sort of zoning an area of the tarmac and set it as gate/stand. But doing so will require a helolololot of works, and of course…bugs.

@Olof @Fredrik @Alexander maybe for A35? :wink:

1 Like

That would definitely add to the gameplay and airport layout. Just slightly different de-icing pad. :smiley:

1 Like

Now that feature voting is open this idea definitely needs some love. Pass-through stands will give the player an actual choice in terms of stands which will impact the design of your airport.

1 Like

same as taxiway sings, (better and more realistic airline contracts the topic created by me) and pass-through stands for sure too adds a lot of realism.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.