DevLog 80: Steam Direct Update and Complex Terminal Layouts

Hello there @Finley17, I merged your topic with this DevLog topic. You can find your answer a couple of posts above here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I appreciate this response, though if I may add (and yes this is hard), you should improve your communication. Of course, in terms of communication, if the receiver is still mixed up with the information, maybe a better way to convey the information should be needed.

That being said, I’m surprised you plan to spend/hire a marketing person.

@Finley17: check the responses above.

Quick question for @Olof and @Fredrik or anyone who might be able to answer this and I know it has been discussed before but not confirmed. Since complex terminals can now be created, does that mean that multiple terminals can also be made?

Maybe, worst for the developers to answer

We have no plans to hire a marketing person. Marketing can be anything from social media ads, promo material etc. We do not plan to spend a lot of money on this but I threw it in there to make a point. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We are still testing this but In theory yes. As long as all arriving passengers have access to all security checkpoints to the different terminals as the passengers will arrive at random locations at the airport (at least for now). Otherwise they will be stuck at the wrong terminal.

2 Likes

Ah, so multiple terminals are possible as long as there is some walkway between them… in theory

2 Likes

@Fredrik I wonder if its possible to build airport like this one, without the side taxiway will the plane turn at he end of the runway, if it was build like this?

I saw from 3rd gameplay video that aircrafts can turn around on runway and exit from the nearest taxiway but I wonder what they will do on departure…

1 Like

Hey guys! I was just re-reding the Devlog and loved the new flexibility with security zones!

And yeah, the crazy taxiways look awesome! But, I just noticed a very small connection on the top right corner.

@Olof or @Fredrik, is there anything to prevent small connections like this? I mean, the diameter of the aircraft body itself (not wingspan) wouldn’t fit this taxiway, right?

Thanks for another great DevLog!

1 Like

Yes, but we have not done a lot of testing on this type of layout so there is always chance for unexpected situations to occur.

They will taxi to the nearest holding point to the take off position which is in the beginning of the runway depending on the current direction (based on wind direction).

Basically the step is that you first lay the foundation and then place the taxiway path. The width of the taxiway is in your hands and there are no restrictions or warnings regarding too narrow taxiway as of now. Might be implemented in the future but I don’t see it as an urgent addition.

9 Likes

@Fredrik i see mentioned that the take off position/direction changes with wind… does that mean multiple runways will take off in same direction as in a real airport? Also well we have the ability to close/open runways when we need to? For example, we want to rework a taxiway and only to do so would be to close the runway temporarily and move it…

On side note will construction on a taxiway or runway Cause air traffic and ground traffic to reroute around construction meaning we’d have to make a temporary path for traffic as in real life ?

I know that runways can be opened and closed like aircraft stands. I think there’s a little switch when you open up the runway panel from what I remember.

2 Likes

@Fredrik Thank you for your announcements, developer blogs, and information. We are all very grateful that you read the forums and keep us updated. I think I speak for many of us here that we are looking forward to whenever the game comes out and at whatever price is set to help you make a very good profit on all of your time and efforts! :slight_smile:

My question is: Is it possible to start with a small terminal and small airport and grow it once you are earning money? For example instead of building a 100 gate superhub can I start small and grow with my bankroll? That way I can learn as I go and add on to my existing layout. Is that the idea or is it ‘build it and they will come’?

Thank you again for your hard work!

2 Likes
  1. We understand clearly you promise nothing, but you should at least address what people are asking. Afterall, they pay to play your game but not watching you make gif.

2. If I allow to comment your management of the project so far, you are unwinding obstacle after obstacle, making your deliverable out of reach. Please review your recent DevLogs on how you frame your wording. All “so-called” major milestones mentioned in previous DevLogs were defected by your “confidence”.

3. If there are majority of us interpreting the your information in one way while you and minority suggest the opposite, it seems a right time to review your presentation of DevLog and communication method.

4. Finally, we cannot challenge your professional judgement regarding confidence. However, if you are trying to make a metaphor between AAA games delay and your delay, it appears that it is a norm to be delay and quite irresponsible saying.

Correct me if I am wrong.

1 Like

We all are indeed hyped for the game. But there was a serious small gap in communication.
There are two ways:

1. Either don’t show any hope.
  2. Or don’t delay much from your estimate (Minor delays accepted)… and even if you delay largely… better communication… and approximate delay should be communicated.

ACEO devs, instead kept saying ‘We won’t tell any dates’. Cool way to handle personal pressure, but something like ‘We expect 1/2 quarter delay’ would have been better.

ACEO Devs have been handling the open development process and community communication very well… but they indeed failed in handling hype for the release date. Many were disappointed when it wasn’t released in March (Q1)… and then still Devs didn’t tell the next estimate… even Q3 would have been good.

This a negative impact of open development… Community handling.
@Fredrik Situation could have been better handled. Tho we are still as excited for the game as we were before. But there was a brief period after Q1 where some lost interest… :stuck_out_tongue: Let this failure be a lesson for u.
ACEO is a well designed concept… and we see your weekly hard-work… Thus it survived this failure without any visible impact (activity didn’t decrease on forum)

Anyways… we all are happy that Game is nearing EA release.

1 Like

You said correct you if your are wrong… maybe not ‘wrong’ but please consider the following.

To be honest @markty I am wondering how many people on this forum have practical experience is making video games. The process which they have led us through is their first time as well. They are learning as they go. Every time they make a change that is suggested or demanded there comes more bugs. Every time they are confident and relay that to us in a DevLog 3 weeks later maybe they encountered an unforeseen obstacle that went against what they said 3 weeks before.

You have valid points but I’m only saying that @Olof and @Fredrik are learning everything on the fly. Massive projects are massively complicated and everyone outside with ideas is always ‘right’ while the people on the inside have to deal with the practical solutions.

We have the power of suggestion. They have the power of decision. Decisions have consequences.

Could you imagine this forum if they released the Alpha and it had nothing but bugs and crashes??? THEN everyone would be all over them saying they shouldn’t have released it so early!

“They pay to play your game” was your quote - yes and that is EXACTLY why they are making sure that THEY are satisfied to put a product out there that people will shell out their hard earned money for. They actually care more about the game than they do money!

We must be patient. They promised us a game that has grown beyond their wildest dreams! They will release it when they are ready to bring their hard work to the public.

I appreciate everyones frustration however I ask you to read my long post here with some understanding that this WILL happen when its READY to happen. In the meantime lets be positive and support the guys building our dream game!

11 Likes

Most of us are patient… And most of us are hyped. He and me are just pointing out the mistakes we feel occurred… no need to get hyper!! And obviously we may be wrong… Its just a feedback we are giving. Its upto Devs to take it into consideration or not.

They promised us a game that has grown beyond their wildest dreams!

U look damn confident. I trust this game & Devs enough to buy it… but not rate it yet.

If you look back you will see that the scope of this game is way beyond what they envisioned 1.5 year ago:)

2 Likes

I wasn’t there 1.5 years ago… I started following 1.2 i guess.