DevLog 49: Flight Planning & Winter Renovations!

It Look great. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It looks awesome. But the question I have is that in the game for the new players will there be a tutorial for the game? So the players can get used to the game and will know what everything does and plan a successful airport.

Looking great as usual! One thing I can think of that would improve usability is adding an option that allows one to plant the flight on the same time every day with just one click. As of not it seems we have to put a flight on each day if it is a daily flight?

1 Like

It looks like it’s a weekly planner, so this happens every week… At least that’s what I infer…

Seeing your most recent picture on Twitter, what are the grey and white bars for, are those gates??

It depends on how many runways you have and, as you said, how many gates you have. The planner will allow you to plan flights at any minute but if you have three flights planned at 17:15 but only one runway you are looking at a congestion issue.

The seven day format of the schedule is of course created like that since there is seven days in a week (I know this is common sense but I like to be as clear as possible :stuck_out_tongue:) . However, flights might have different characteristics where one of these characteristics is that the flight is daily, weekly, or bi-weekly. If this is the case, there will be some sort of flag on the container showing this. For example, one flight slot container might read CL123 [DAILY] and when you place that container on for example Monday at 13:37, it’ll apply for all days of the week. I’m currently looking into how this system will work, but we don’t want to limit us to only once-a-week flights or, if you’d have a flight that takes place four times a day each day every week, a UI where you’d have to manually place out 28 containers.

It depends on what you mean by a “tutorial”. Will there be a dedicated game mode where you will be guided in playing a certain world for like 45 minutes? Initially no but perhaps later. However, the first version of the game will ship with a lot of comprehensive information on what certain parts do or how they function, either in separate panels where relevant or perhaps as an in-game wiki or handbook (perhaps as a part of the management panel?).

Nope, they are simply rows that’ll allow you to schedule flights without overlapping containers. Imagine if you’d have five flights all arriving 14:51, 14:52, 14:53 and so on… would be a quite congested schedule if there weren’t any rows.

1 Like

I get it now. Looks good! Could there also be a weekly list of what comes at what time? So basically, you have a page for each day, then a page that says like

Sunday
CLM 1:13PM
STR 1:15PM

Monday
STR 1:24 PM

Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday

Etc etc etc??

Yeah, that’s a bout right! I think it’ll become even clearer in an hour or so… :wink:

Yes I was thinking of a mode that shows the player how to set up a successful airport.

Where’s the fun in that?

Show the player how to place buildings, yeah sure… But not show them how to make it successful? That just takes the fun out of it!

1 Like

Just go like “Build this and that because you can do this and that after…” - “Now do that other this and that”… “Well done, your first flight brought money to your airport!” aaand tutorial ends here with just a bit of revenue while of course it had explained that your numbers must be +$ and not -$ at the end of the day… which is common sense. Nothing fancy needed. Keep it simple! :smiley:

True, so what about in the tutorial they just show us how to place the buildings to at least make the airport operational, and then get us out of the tutorial and we the airport ceos have to try to remember a little bit of the tutorial then go from there.

Don’t misunderstand us regarding tutorial, of course there will be a tutorial eventually. However, before the initial release, we might not have the time to make a fancy tutorial but instead provide you with some simple steps to follow.

3 Likes

Yeah, something like a panel with a checklist containing bullets like “construct 1 runway”, “construct 4 check-in desks”, “close a contract with an airline”, essentially a check list that will put you in the right direction to, as you said, construct a functioning airport.

4 Likes

Yes we know that you guys will construct a tutorial for the game. I’m just thinking of a way you could do the tutorial. With the check lists for us, those are great ideas and I think that those would help the gamers and improve the game greatly.

Well i don’t think we need a fancy tutorial. Simple one… just to place the objects and explain their functionality. Once we know how to construct, management can be taught through the checklist panel. ‘Follow those checklist and you are sure to get a successful airport’.

I love the checklist idea.

And also will there be a sandbox mode in the first release??

If not… Then @Fredrik @Olof can u construct a tutorial abt how to increase money using Cheat Engine :grin:. I think it will take some 15min of your time to do that. A simple cheat table.

C’mon now, why would we need to cheat? There’s gonna be a sandbox mode anyway if the player just wants to fool around or experiment.

hey when is going to be relesed do? ps are the devs from sweden

When it’s ready, and I think so… One of the Scandinavian countries at least.

Also there are Devlogs and forum posts later than this one where you might find more up to date information.

1 Like

Yeah, they are from the southern part, Lund i believe.