Departure/Arrival/Both Stands

Feature request title:

Departure/Arrival Only Stands

Description:
I thought that we should have an option, like the runways, to set stands to departure, arrival, or both.

Why it should be implemented:
This could really help with better airport planning and traffic. Especially with multiple terminals. One terminal could be arrival and one could be departure. this means that there a flight assigned to that stand say can only can board or leave the plane.

The downside of this is that planes often do turnarounds, so they’ll go back out.

1 Like

that wouldnt be realistic to have the airplane move stands to board and unload pax

I have never seen such a stand type in real life. Do you have any example?

2 Likes

One example is at ORD in Chicago. Terminal 1 has Lufthansa and ANA departures, but those airlines have arrivals at Terminal 5 because only Terminal 5 has customs/immigration facilities. They then have to move the planes back to Terminal 1 to board

To be fair I’m not sure the stands are solely reserved for these airlines all the time. I imagine United uses the same Terminal 1 gates for domestic arrivals/departures when there is no ANA/Lufthansa plane there and that, similarly the arrival gates in Terminal 5 are also used for other airlines that need departure/arrival gates at other points of the day. But it’s the closest example I could find.

1 Like

Interesting, it seems to me like an odd solution to a problem. Surely renovating a terminal is more cost effective on the long term than to continuously tow aircraft to a different terminal. Then again, on larger airlines using a hub-spoke model, turnaround times might allow for this since the aircraft have to wait anyway.

Despite it being a thing that is apparently used, I wouldn’t want to see it any time soon in Airport CEO. There are more important and more significant things to implement at this point.

I think this procedure is only sometimes used on longhaul flights, but definitely not on short and medium haul flights. After longhaul flights an A/C may arrive at Gate X and after deboarding/unloading it is towed to a remote position, due to a very long ground time at the airport. Then, some time before departure the A/C is towed back to a Gate, which might be different from the arrival Gate.
The turnaround time on short/medium-haul flights is too short to get the aircraft from one gate to another.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.