Community Design Challenge - Stage 2

Post the link here! Cant wait to see your airport! :slight_smile:

I have given up on this one because I have not been playing ACEO recently

1 Like

Just got a letter for the governor’s office, the expansion of the airport has been approved. Indeed, more and more passengers were trying to come and visit the island, but the small airfield we’d improved in the last few years wasn’t sufficient anymore. Along with this expansion, a new railway express line was already under construction to improve the airport’s connection with the main city center and relieve the road network a bit from the congestion that was slowly but surely becoming an issue for the locals.

To make things even worse, or better, airlines where beginning to pressure me about the size of our infrastructures which was clearly undersized for what they needed. New gates and a new runway was being looked forward, quite urgently.

First, a new general aviation ramp was needed. The old one was fine, but quite inconveniently placed with the new gate size we’ll have to fit next to our main terminal building. The selected design will be able to handle ten general aviation aircrafts at a time, with two private lounges for the pilots to rest while waiting for their aircraft’s being serviced.

Once this done, time for the expansion of the RWY18R/36L and RWY18L/36R. The first one would be expanded to fit larger planes, up to Boeing 757’s, as some airlines had requested it, while the second one would only be lengthened by a few hundreds feet to improve safety upon landing.

Terminal wise, the single floor commuter one was clearly showing its limits and with the arrival of much larger aircrafts than DHC-6s, jetways wouldn’t be a luxury.
A second floor was also clearly needed, even without accounting for the increased passenger flux into the check-in areas.

All the gates located on the main commercial apron, A6 to A12 were upgraded to bigger stands, with a bridge connecting the aircraft and the upper floor of the terminal. The A6 gate was relocated at the end of the commuter pier with the five remaining commuter gates A1 to A5.

To meet the overall demand without exploding the budget allowed to the expansion, the remaining 8 gates needed would need to be located in a remote location on the apron, with 6 medium sized stands and 2 supplementary commuter stands right next to the general aviation apron.

A dual floors pier dedicated to remote stands operations was constructed on the South of the terminal to meet the increasing demand associated with those new gates.

Now that all the gates are placed in the new airport layout, we needed to improve the transportation methods to reach and leave the airport. The parking areas was still quite fine, but not enough anymore. Decision was made to dig under and add a new long term parking underground, right under the old one. The bus stops would be relocated underground as well, leaving some space for the taxis and drop-offs area.

This was also the perfect place to fit the entrance to the brand new underground rail station station, along with some rest area for passenger and a new café for the morning birds leaving our wonderful island.

The check-in area had also to be a bit expanded, with new check-in desks now allowing checked baggages! A few self check-in kiosk were also added on each side of the terminal.

The security checkpoints, now completely undersized for the new affluence in the terminal were moved to the upper floor along with new facilities for passengers, including new shops, airline lounges and restaurants.

On the East terminal expansion, a baggage claim area was added in place of the A6 to A12 gates, preceded by the immigration checkpoints and the remote arrivals on the right.

This all combined would prove to be sufficient enough for the 5 to 6 thousands passengers each day the airport was about to receive.

Airport expansion also meant new administration area, with a brand new executive’s office’s now on the upper floor, just over the South check-in zone.

As general facilities, the new airport expansion was also now providing airlines with cleaning and catering services.

Overall (quite fluctuacting) rating of the airport

Overall airport view

Link to the savefile

Thanks to Rev0LT setting up this challenge and good luck to every participant to the contest :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How am I supposed to compete with this masterpiece! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks :grin: That’s partially why my submission is a bit late. Also, the design and detailing part is only a tiny portion of the overall score, you still’ve got your chance!

1 Like

:muscle: :fire: :fire: :fire:
6 commercial aviation stands? I see that the company cars are not tied to the stand, but apparently sits in the parking lot. When planes occupy all remote stands, is there no critical traffic? I fell on 3x. Often company cars caused traffic jams on the 3-lane road.

What are 2 3rd level scanners for (blue, in front of the destroyer)?

Cool! Without a swing to gigantism and crowds of passengers! With feeling, sense and consistency.

On the other hand… And why a big airport with a bunch of paks if there are Belanger Jewellers ?! :joy:

1 Like

Nope, 4 remote car stops for 8 remote stands, no traffic issues at all, no delays.
Also, I made sure remote stands would have mostly CRJs and ATRs and almost no 757’s

To improve the rating by having less false negative on tier 3 scanners.

The governors wanted to attract tourists, so I thought having rich tourists would be even better :grin:

1 Like

That is why I receive letters with fines of $ 5,000, for some kind of bags with dangerous goods identified on the planes that have flown off … 2 scanners of the 3rd level are needed.

And I thought the Governor was from an island in the Caribbean, and GA was driving him coke for rich tourists, like in American Made with Tom Cruise. :smile:

1 Like

I am so sad and disappointed with myself right now. I was deleting so of my old airports and deleted the one for this contest. :sob:

:pleading_face:

Still very interested! (also, the overall design is only over 10/20 pts max out of 300)

1 Like

Dear Governor,

Plymouth International Airport is glad to finally present the developments that you have allowed us. In the past 3 years, we made a $5 million investment to build a completely new terminal called “Terminal B” which can handle 8 big aircraft or 2000 passengers hourly. In comparison, Terminal A’s capacity is only 150 passengers an hour or 9 small planes. We have built a luggage handling system, deicing facilities should an emergency arise, catering and cleaning services. We built a lounge and opened 3 additional franchise shops to the current 3 in Terminal A.

It is with great disappointment that you Mr. Governor have not provided any kind of financial assistance. We were on our own and just when Terminal B was structurally ready, we got into an economic crisis with loans and very little money. It took us a lot of time to recover while we continuously cried for help from you. We have not got it which is not really fair considering the huge impact on the island’s tourism we provided. We all went through the tragedy which the volcano did to us and Plymouth was deserted for a very long time. Since Soufrière became inactive, we saw an amazing community rebuild the old capital and we wanted to be a part of it by opening it to tourists.

In reality, this meant that we had to scrap many of our plans and this lead to the abandonment of our design plans. We wanted to make the airport luxurious and beautiful, but we had to keep it simple in order to survive. Since we have collected a sum of $11 million which we will spend in the next few years to welcome large aircraft and demolish Terminal A. The reason for the latter is the huge costs for so few passengers. A very small part will stay and will function as a General Aviation Terminal. Small aircraft will be handled by buses in Terminal B which will be renamed.

Here I attach some pictures of the new terminal: //The pictures were made at different times.

A helicopter overview of the airport

The floor plan of Terminal B

The check-in area of Terminal B

Security Control and Passport Control.

Airside areas including the Maple Leaf Lounge

Arrivals and the luggage handling facility.

The de-icing facility which functions as an emergency gate due to the lovely climate here.

Our offices

Terminal A

The proposed VIP and GA Terminal in the current Terminal A Building. We expect to start building soon.

All in all, thanks to you Governor for reading this letter. We hope that you like the progress we are making continuously.

// I wanted to max all the points except for the design, however, I didn’t succeed in profits nor ratings :frowning: Save file is here: ACEO.zip - Google Drive

5 Likes

I love of those magnificent airports!! Even Though I am trying to get over the fact that I am so stupid for doing that, at least there is something I can be happy for! :slight_smile:

Goodluck to all participants, and try not to be like me. :wink:

So brief update: I’m going to extend the deadline by a week due to some unforeseen circumstances (a bit late for the announcements, but it’s so people can re-edit and add their submissions here).

New Deadline: 01/08/2020 (August 1st) at 12 AM (midnight) CEST

2 Likes

casually nobody does anything or says anything

1 Like

We’re still waiting for your submission :grin:

1 Like

OH, i was not submiting, my build died already

1 Like

<insert sad kitten gif here>

2 Likes

ya, im sorry, but i have not played ACEO for a bit, (i have been taken over by roblox lol), and my design was not good anyways, it was too expensive

1 Like

Is this still alive? It was a good idea.

Not sure

1 Like