Community Design Challenge - Stage 1

No problem, am playing with default.

1 Like

How is everyone getting on with the challenge?

1 Like

I haven’t been able to play much these last few days, but getting the ‘Daily Passenger Count’ & ‘Daily Operating Profit’ up to the ‘required’ levels is quite a challenge. I think that I can get the count up, not sure on the profit, will see.

1 Like

That’s why it’s a challenge :wink:

2 Likes

Cannot complete the challenge my PC has died Grrrr. Had just under 800 pax per day. Was running with two runways and 16 small stands. It was also profitable too. Shame. Also had 12 GA.

3 Likes

Since it seems pax count is the most difficult one, if you’ve achieved the other objectives just post your save and share your airport screen here.

BTW, when I say daily pax count it’s not the number on the dashboard down below, but based on the operations report.

2 Likes

do you mind if i post mine late? i my timezone midnight for you is 6:00 AM here
Edit, looking back, nm its 6:00 PM not AM so ill post on time

1 Like

Considering no one has posted yet, I think it’s best if I postpone the deadline so people have time to rebuilt and not stressed out.

New deadline: 23:59 CEST 30/05/2020 (so roughly 3 days from now).

PS: I just tried the challenge myself and it is doable to get all the minimum targets. If you’re still banging your head with it, ramp up your ratio of passengers per flight to 100% (I should’ve mentioned that we will be using this setting).

1 Like

I’m basically ready, just going to let it run for an hour, to make money and to get ratings sorted, so I don’t need more time lol.
Also with just 8 of 12 active small gates I had over 900 daily pax, so it’s doable 100%

1 Like

If you’re done post the save and some screens here.

1 Like

Regarding the small commercial stands, are 6 the minimum and 8 the maximum values ? Or can we go a bit higher ?
Same with airlines contracts, is it 3 airlines ? Or minimum 3 airlines.

1 Like

You can go higher.

1 Like

lol good, as i have 12 commercial stands and 6 airline contracts

1 Like

OK GUYS here is mine: Steam Workshop::PIA Stage 1 [35-3] VOID
and here are some pictures:

terminal 1 and its remote stand

terminal 2

full overhead

and taxiway systems

3 Likes

Note : this has to be read with a thick French accent

There we are, I’m finally landing on this lost island. A few weeks before, the Brits asked me, some random French guy, to help them reconstruct and expand the local airport, which was tore down 10 years ago, when the Soufrière Hills volcano exploded for the last time. The landing by itself is a bit rough, given the single bumpy grass runway. The terminal building the plane approaches holds more of a heap of planks and sheet metal randomly put together than a true modern airport infrastructure, probably the result of the frequent storms and hurricane in the region. How is this airport even running in this state, I mumbled.
As I enter the building, I’m welcomed by the local governor who seems quite pleased by my arrival. After a (brief) visit, he leaves me in charge before going to vacations far away from this paradise. Or is? This island seems more like hell to me. Mosquitoes, spiders, snakes, a pretty unstable volcano to deal with, an air so wet is constantly drowning in my shirt, why the heck did I accept this job? I can’t even go to the beaches, due to the constant shark attacks near the shores. How am I going to do this?

A few weeks later…

Oh boy, this stuff sure isn’t easy. Were do I start? We first need to bring back passengers to the island, which will bring profits! The extension of the existing passenger area will be the first thing to be done, along with paving the current horrible runway. This should cut lots of complaints we get each week from passengers going through our facilities.

But, extending the terminal along the runway won’t be enough, and we’ll soon run out of space for future expansions. Let see… Yes, we should build a brand new passenger area facing North, plenty of room here, this could do the trick. Obviously, we will need to increase also the size of the check in area, which is currently barely enough for the 4 gates we have.

Another complaint we frequently get, is the lack of restaurant and entertainment options. The few passengers that makes it through here wants to immediately leave the island. I don’t blame them, that’s what I should have done myself when I arrived. The other job I was being offered at that time, in Antartica seems now like it was the best option. Anyway, I’m sure a taste of the local cuisine right when they arrive should make them stick around a little longer.

After all this planning done, I’m feeling a bit better. The construction just needs to be finished, and we’ll be ready to let the tourist flood submerge this tiny island.

One year later.

We did it, the tourists are back to this Caribbean island. Along with the passenger terminal expansion, we moved the General Aviation Apron North to the main terminal, even including some resting spaces for visiting pilots. That’s also where I moved my office, with all the other members of the Executive Bureau, far away from the constant noise of passengers arriving and departing the island.

With all this new traffic, we’ve been forced to built a second runway on the other side of the airport. The complaints from the constant delays were to strong for us to ignore. A new tower also has been built to accommodate this new flow of metal birds.

The existing terminal has been entirely renovated, matching the new one, with new parking spaces for visitors, and even gardens to allow departing passengers to relax, before taking their place into some flying coffin that visit the island from time to time. In that matter, we had to end our contract with Edward’s Bay, which showed some concerning things regarding security. A replacement wasn’t hard to find at all with the new interest the island gathered in the past few months.

Financially, we’re now in a great position, earning around $350k per day! We’ve got more than 1300 daily passengers, which serves greatly the tourism industry in the region. I feel like my job is done here, and I should take some vacations. Or maybe I could start planning for a new expansion ?

Download the savefile

3 Likes

What happened to this? When is the next stage?

1 Like

Hi all, sorry for the no news. I finally have some free time to review the two entries, and so far I’ve gotta say, I’m lovin it! With these two CEOs around, I can’t undoubtedly say Montserrat will be the next jewel of the Caribbean :wink:

Unfortunately, I will still need some time to compile the scores. I will keep you further updated. In the meantime, I’m going to start opening the community votes. Feel free to cast your votes!

EDIT: I’m also taking the time to write some feedbacks from the entries thus far (plus setting up Stage 2), so sorry it’s taking such a time.

4 Likes

Right, after careful consideration, this is the final tally of the results

I don’t count the community challenge because the votes had been tied; 1-1 for both (yeah, I’m also sad that the community didn’t vote). I’ll re-add this for Stage 2, and I’ll be thinking a strategy on how to drive more votes for the future.

Both designs have been quite amazing IMO. As someone who can’t design for heck, I really am amazed at the design of both contestands. However, in the end, I would say Glieps’ airport wins by points (sorry VOID).

Some minor suggestions to improve on both airport

VOID’s Design

First off, I really like the efficiency of your airport. Just leaving this running, everything works perfectly. Planes can find path easily, not much congestion, and everything’s set up for future automation.

The main check-in area is quite simple but straightforward. I feel like this is what a small but modern airpor terminal might look like, which I don’t know if that’s what you’re going. But in my opinion, you could add more information display around the lobby (e.g. on the top right).

Compact terminal lobby

Great side-garden area so people can take a quick smoke break after they pass customs.

The connection from the terminal to the stands is quite smart. The use of bridge adds an unique architectural touch for an airport of such a scale, and setting up lounges (although it’s small) adds a little bit.

Bridge from terminal to stands

One of the stand areas

Personally, I like the “straight-forwardness” of the airport design, which particularly mimics the small airport feel in these areas. That being said, I wish there were more decorations, or at the very least a bit more windows. As the pax passes customs into the stands, there doesn’t seem much to be done inbetween. The shop placements is also a bit awkward, enjoying traffic mostly from 1 customs gate (northern end). I think a bit of a layout adjustment (e.g. moving the customs gate further north, and then using the saved space for the shop/restaurant/toilets.

Functional but a bit dreary; could use a bit more windows/open areas

And finally, the penalty is applied because the terminal is not properly fenced in. See how the remote bus stops connect to the stands, and there’s an open gate there. I know, in in-game terms, they serve no purpose (yet), but that’s a big security flaw IMO.

Security could’ve been tighter.

All in all, though your airport was not chosen, I would say you did a very good job. As you can see, there were many who says they’re “up to the challenge”, but you were one of the only two who put money where your mouth is and delivered something spectacular. And for that, I bid you…

Glieps’s Design

So first off, the overall design feels like a very natural extension of the original foundations.

A large overview of the airport

Some nice urban garden in the middle

The spaces in the terminal feels wide and traversable. I really like the area in the secure zone, as it gives the passengers some spaces to explore. However, some spaces in the check-in area could be improved (e.g. better / different placements of chairs to allow more traversable spaces) as well as security exits (the 1 tile exits between the security checkpoint to security exit.

An interesting corner

Traversable corridors/areas, with a little bit of open garden

However, the opposite with VOID seems to happen in this airport, and that is the lack of enough infrastructure for leaving passengers. I spot only 3 passport control exit throughout the airport, which leads to congestion as passengers choose fastest exit.

“Oh God, I’m gonna miss my meeting!”

This is also visible in the transit stuctures. For a larger airport, one would need more bus stops and car stops. And as seen here, passengers are lining up for the public transport.

Congestion for the bus

All in all, I would suggest balancing with more transit options.

======
So to conclude, Glieps’ airport design will be used as the basis for Stage 2 of the Community Design Challenge. You can find it here:

I’m posting this as a new topic so people can join in much more easily. See you on Stage 2!

2 Likes

Lol, question, I have like 15 or more GA stands, why did I get no points for GA? Also, the airport is made for money making, and then allows me to afk and make money for future super terminals
Edit: i now see I have 11 ga stands so that explains it, but I’m now slapping myself now for the mistake

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why. I checked it multiple times to confirm, and I saw you only have 11 GA stands.

1 Like