Cities Making You Wait To Go International

So, me living in Long Beach, California our city council recently voted to keep KLGB Domestic (sadly) it made me wonder, would this game use and or need the influence of a city council, noise abatement and other things that make your airport less of an attractive place for tennants to settle down and operate flights into? Maybe your international terminal keeps getting rejected so just do a little bribery and get the city council to shush about their noise abatement or their NIMBY ideals. (P.S Nimby = Not In My Back Yard)

I don’t think this is really an issue in Europe. The vast majority of commercial airports offer international flights, and I’ve never heard of international services being refused by local authorities. A recent example was the (ludicrous) Brighton City Airways which operated between Brighton and Paris Pontoise. They managed to launch an international service between two airports without passenger services, with no complaints raised by local councils. The service failed because the French authorities wouldn’t set up a port of entry at Pontoise necessitating a stopover (although frankly it was doomed to fail anyway), but there were no local issues.

Of course, the situation in the US is somewhat different. The size of the country means that domestic travel makes up a greater proportion of the flights, and the length of most international flights means that you’re realistically looking at wide body ops for the majority of international services. And that’s before we look at the legal issues.

I think restricting international flights is not a good idea. I think it would be good to have a simple political simulation in the background though. You’ve already mentioned noise abatement and local issues, which I think could form a part of the game but I’d hope they aren’t too restrictive. I’d suggest maybe hiring an environmental officer and a lawyer, who could work on expansion proposals, and make dealings with the government easier (more experienced/skilled staff make this easier). I don’t like the idea of bribery, unless it’s used sparingly and with a possibility of consequences (e.g. 30% chance the local newspaper would find out, run a smear campaign against the airport tarnishing your reputation, and you’d be fined).

2 Likes

This is a big issue in India… Not in Europe tho. But these small things could add to the ‘character’ of the game. Pune Airport did not get Full Int’l clearance because of Air force for 20yrs. Now the govt is making a new Greenfield Int’l Airport for the city😌.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.