Airport CEO Beta 2 released

Agree with this. Distance should be a priority if the nearest runway is free, but otherwise, the other runway(s) should be used.

For some time now I’ve been building long taxiways towards the runway (departure) entrances and to deicing pads to fit more planes on it in queue outside of the plane stands areas, as also I always put (arrival) exits from runways as close to stands as I can.

Like already has been said, the distance for departing aircraft doesn’t matter that much as for the arriving aircraft. The best for me is when departing aircraft don’t block entrances to stands while heading to runway or deicing, so when there are 8+ other planes in queue to depart the longer the distance (buffer) they have, the better.

A good and realistic way to deal with short taxi times for both arrival and departing planes, is parallel runways on each side of the terminal, but offset. Like that, arriving planes exit the runway close to the terminal and departing planes have a short way as well. Also arr/dep traffic does not cross.

1 Like

Will you fix the broken modding button tonight?
It’s weekend, modding time. :star_struck:

why not just connect the stand to runway like you connect stands to the baggage bay or checkin desks…

Because that’s not how airports work. Runway usage is usually decided by weather conditions or local regulations like noise reduction for surroundings.

that’s all well and ok in real world but here we don’t have noise reduction and regulations, unless that’s planned for future implementation at some point.

Assigning the runway can only be priority consideration element… specially for hight traffic airports… just a thought, don’t make it a big deal :stuck_out_tongue:

ok, may an optional assignment to a terminal could help.

agree…

1. but I think I would love to see stop of use of buttons to repair stuff… and actually implement time, crews, cars, trucks, etc to do that, where we could and should plan it, closing runways, tarmac replacement, people and equipment used for it… like here rapid runway repair

and can add tons of tech that goes with them here… to research unlock etc.

1. would also love to see modular stands, so we have tech to research to unlock, like lights, generators, etc… stuff that is just there with stand atm, or just pops up. but I am sure we need people or cars/trucks to push generators, place the engine/wing markers etc… which would add to realism like the ramp agents atm… but give them purpose.

Please let us connect stands to runways, like stands to baggage bays.

So, we as a player, can steer the pathfinder. Have these options as a slider, and then have buttons like the baggage connect or remote stand buttons.

• use any runway (default)
  • set runway
  • set separate arrival runway and departure runway

Also, make it possible to connect “de-Icing stands” to runways, so a plane only can use the de-icing stand, connected to the runway it departs from.

I had not seen your comment.

5 Likes

All airports exist in a context where dozens of factors outside the control of the map we play on directly affect daily airport operations. To simluate/tycoon that in a realism driven way… are you kidding me? The weather system alone is a massive undertaking (I can’t wait for weather to be removed from the save files). All of the various systems are equally complex. Which one would you like next? perhaps interaction of the air traffic of neighboring airports? Perhaps jetpacks in Los Angeles? There’s a point where reasonable is fun and another point where better becomes the enemy of good. It’s a good thing this game is still a Beta Test game.

There seem to be two sides here. Some want the aircraft to always go for the nearest runway no matter what. Some wants the system to divide between any available runways. They way it was before was kind of random so they would distribute evenly. I recently added a distance factor as well which is why some of you see a different behavior where they will pick the nearest instead. I’m open for input here.

I see runway utilization as a purely design issue. I have never had problems with airplanes taking the wrong runways because I learned very early on, the only way to prevent insanity is to make sure airplanes are always flowing from a single point or small area, to the stands and then in traveling in the same direction to a single collection point or small area where all planes depart. When it can’t work perfectly, use the directional controls on taxiways to prevent planes from blocking each other etc. The only time I have a runway set for both landings and take-offs is where there’s one runway. Immediately after the second runway is added, they’re always single direction after that.

The biggest problem I have in the model I use is having the available geography for a sufficiently long airplane Q for take-off (and physical space for runways apparently on the base maps which I don’t use often). That Q moves much faster when you add additional runways with turn/entry points at nearly the same location. I built a quick model of what runways look like and function best with in my experiences with building monstrosities. Of note, this is also the primary reason I change the map size, not to build more stuff in a larger area, but to build stuff in the original map and put the runways outside. Obviously, they’re not “realistic.” They would be if we had large areas for purchase that would only allow runways and taxiways, and maybe fire stations. The O’hare orientation shown elsewhere is a wonky example of trying to model runway directions and utilization for wind reasons and approach reasons interacting with Chicago’s Midway. O’hare’s landing and runways is not based purely on weather. It is also based on Midway’s traffic. I can’t find the video I ran into at the Smithsonian Museums that totally blew my mind how much the interaction of the air traffic of those two airports can dump this country on its head. NYC is much the same

If you give this game an opportunity to choose where something is allowed to travel, it usually will pick the most odd one. That’s where the design comes in. Airplanes don’t have a far away runway to choose here. The decision point of which runway to pick is just about next to the entrances.

Also, make it possible to connect “de-Icing stands” to runways, so a plane only can use the de-icing stand, connected to the runway it departs from

I prefer to not give them the choice to pick the farther away runway. If the pathfinder can’t find a path, it’ll find a different target.

This Tulip F70 has a problem:

ACEO-35060

Did you change the SAAB340 to a small aircraft?
As I excepted the Coast2Coast contract it showed them as Medium.
I started the game now and wanted to fill flights I saw, they are now Small. Or am I finally going crazy? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, the Saab changed to a small aircraft as it was incorrectly entered as a medium at the point of the release, it’s simply not big enough! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

With a whopping 34 passengers, it has to be a medium aircraft I mean it even borders being a large aircraft you need two jet bridges to board it, in a timely fashion of 10 minutes!!

2 Likes

Woot :slight_smile: Thank you. :tada:

1 Like

Sounds like you need to build a more efficient airport… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

It was always designed and planned as a small.

There were also a lot of voices asking for a larger capacity small aircraft and this one fit the bill. It was also from our Dev’s home country and well, the numbers just added up :slight_smile:

4 Likes

New version rolling out, last for the week, beta 1.2-4. We expect pace to pick up again starting Monday and are targeting a beta 2 release on default for Wednesday evening, one week delayed, and then continue working on beta 3 and more bug fixes!

Release notes - Airport CEO - Version Beta 2.1-4

Bug

• [ACEO-32247] - Assigned vehicles on aircraft stand become de-assigned when stand is closed
  • [ACEO-32280] - Cabin cleaning trucks do not preemptively empty its content if nearing max stored capacity

Improvement

• [ACEO-32232] - Person node permission lists replaced with more performant solution
7 Likes