Airport CEO Alpha 0.21.11 released

Most bugs are :stuck_out_tongue:

Ye I agree the devs are working hard But it really annoys me that people review this game as full release and write bad comments on steamā€¦ i wish someone can explain the meaning of ea to them lol

But hats off to devs canā€™t wait for new patch and updates

2 Likes

Well, yeahā€¦ EA is super hard to define. On one part I can understand those reviews, we are in fact selling a product which you expect to work to some degree, for example that serialization issue and some other saving issues which we are patching every day is unacceptable. Also if youā€™re running on a resolution that we do not yet support, that is unacceptable and so they should return it. On the other hand, if everything works relatively OK, the price is heavily subsidized to counter the first weeks of EA so I guess itā€™s that ā€œdegreeā€ that define ones opinion of the game. It is a bit problematic to define it, for sure.

Iā€™ve played other EA titles and believe me, this one has been a true pleasure to play, totally worth the price (and even considering the 10% discount). There will be issues as it is still in developement but it is quite enjoyable. Iā€™ve played games that have been in alpha for at least a couple of years with full teams working on it and the fact you are constantly releasing fixes and updates is what got me hooked up on this one. It is a good sign that the game is brought by devs commited to the task.

2 Likes

Olaf I am software developer too and coding is not easy especially coding a mega structure game like aceo is not easy you guys have come a long way and therefore the devs deserve respect and appraisal

I have never seen other developer take a keen interest on its community and patching the game everyday to make sure it stable

3 Likes

Can I reply @Olof please?
The EA idea and dream is amazing to me as a business software developer. The idea of saying to my customers that they are going to pay for the product (at reduced rate) and take a punt on the chance this one might work out is weird in the extreme. And that they will have to test it. And report bugs to me? Detailed bugs with logs and save game files? Weird.

But we, players and gamers, want to help the startups and entrepreneurs - we want to take a risk (small financial but huge in time) to make the product better
The idea that we actively engage in alpha testing is crazy to me too for the developer standpoint. You are effectively making a bespoke single purpose application that numerous unspecified end users will use, without proper supervision, training, understanding - you must fight the education of these users (and I count myself as one of those as I found the 1st couple of hours so frustrating and nearly rage quit on couple of occasions - glad I didnā€™t though as there is a gem of a game here).
So, EA - what is and why?

For you it is a revenue stream, It is a community building tool. It is a promotional ā€œgimmickā€, it is nerve-wracking and maddening. What is it worth to you to have this pressure of release with idiotic (in the nicest possible way) users getting in the way of the thing we love most as developers - coding :slight_smile:
I couldnā€™t work in an EA environment with all the unknowns flying at you every single moments. All the bug-responses , all the negative criticism (as good as ALL criticism is negative criticism that is unfairly based on ALPHA code is potentially crippling if it gains a momentum). Of course, good bug squashing, listening to the community and frequent updates that make things better are your ā€œprizeā€ and your burden for your delving into EA - youā€™re doing a grand job.

Good luck to you guys - make a release you are proud of and you sleep easy in your beds at night then.

One thing I like about your EA approach - and I hope it continues - is the forward compatible save games. I like that each update doesnā€™t break what I did before (mostly).

5 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree more well said

Very well written! Completely agree! :slight_smile:

Cool, thanks! :slight_smile:

@AngerIsAnEnergy Wow thats a cool and pretty deep definition of EA!

1 Like

Gee thanks, Iā€™ve no idea if it is right - I been stoned all afternoon after this rollout was rolled-back and it affected Steam synch for me making the game unplayable. So I managed the rollback by rolling my own so to speak.

Ideas flow

Although in the fullness of time Iā€™d love to hear Apoapsisā€™ thought on EA - from before they did, the process itself and what was learned from it. The Devblog is useful like that, but seriously who has time to read all that? Well, I could have this afternoon, but I chose something else instead

2 Likes

Looks like this update was pushed about 9 minutes ago. Will test it out in 30 minutes, gotta get the kids from school. No flights scheduled at my airport for a few hours anyway.

3 Likes

Yup! Now released!

2 Likes

Iā€™m happy to report that the FPS is indeed better now! Itā€™s still not perfect (probably due to the stands) but itā€™s definitely going the good way. Thanks Olof and Fredrik! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m getting weird flickering when dragging out roads and placing infrastructure objects.

It seems that things get worse on my computerā€¦:disappointed_relieved:Do I have to ditch the saved games and start a new game to see the performance improvements?

Hi guys, i donā€™t wanna be the one that create problems ahahahaha but after the update i have some stupid issues, nothing serius. What happen is that after all the flights are gone the airport staffs are still going to the check-in desk, open it and close it right after and again and again. The passengers take seats far away from their stands and there are always 3/4 people that go to the boarding gate late and the flight has to wait for them, i mean the last one seems like something more close to the reality but the other one not really, is there someone that has the same problems? Also i receive a message that says ā€œa person canā€™t move about the terminalā€ and this happen after they go thru the security

I donā€™t want to be that guy either but weird pathing behaviour for passengers after getting through security gate. They stand there lost for minutes. gathering in a herd, then slowly find where they go. Can accept that as they get to their destination.

However, how about GA planes landing at all hours of the night? Is that a thing? Never seen that before they always stopped landing around 1800 and started again around 0600.

Further, unknown plane arrived at 0130 (unscheduled) medium jet. Landed, overshot the runway, turned and headed for a gate. Unloaded 60 something passengers and 4 bags, then left - just as well, as there was no-one left in the terminal anyway.

Finally, there was no-one left in the terminal because the last flight took them all. But not before telling me it was delayed, so I checked it and there were 0/69 passengers to board. BUT there was no-one in the terminal. The plane had loaded 17 of their bags though. Then it pushed back and suddenly it has all the passengers - all 111 of them!!! Where did they come from and why was reported different?

1 Like

And after planning some flights they got cancel, i mean some of them not all of them, why? Ahahaha every time i open my flight planner i see some flights missing then i click on the airlens and it says ā€œcencelā€ but i didnā€™t touch it

Hi, @Olof
is it possible to add some configuration switch, maybe in debug menu, to change engine modes from 0.20.10 to 0.20.11 and back.
Because for me it seems like no benefits in performance in 0.20.11, even it seems to be slowly. But as developer I cannot confirm it without numbers from debug.

No need for apologizing people, itā€™s just good that youā€™re finding bugs! Weā€™re still not even one full week of EA so itā€™s not strange that weā€™re finding new stuff with each release. We will look into these reports along with the other, they are at least less and less critical (when surveying from our perspective and summarizing the full picture) so weā€™re slowly moving in the correct direction.

@Insspb no, sorry, they are completely different builds and we want you all to be on the latest version so we have a common ground when hunting bugs.

2 Likes