Giving Airport Staff Time to Reach Stands Before Boarding

If you’ve ever built a large airport in AirportCEO, you will occasionally find that your flights are consistently being delayed due to the time it takes for airport staff to actually reach the stand. The time it takes for them to reach the stand causes delays as passengers cannot be boarded quickly enough.

A possible solution would be to have the game calculate the employee’s distance from the game and how long it will take them to reach the gate accordingly. This way the airport staff can arrive on time for boarding.

I’m not sure if this is feasible with the current job dispatching system so I’d love to hear your feedback :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As job deployment should take distance into account now … i wonder if you have a shortage on staff or no staff rooms nearby.

No, the game tells me I have a surplus of employees. Also, I’m not the only one having this issue.

Possibly not enough, if the dispatchment system needs to assign some available staff from far away. So there may be a real shortage, even if there is technically no shortage, as there is avaiable staff far away.

If the system calls for some staff of the opposide side of the airport, this most likely will result in a loop.

You could try to hire some more staff to break this loop, so staff will be available in the local staff room

Well, I can tell you right now I do not have a shortage. My staff room is far away from that side of the airport as I prefer for it to be in a centralized location. The issue is, they wait until boarding time to head over there and that wastes time.

In this case it’s clear, as time consumption for walking isn’t recognized yet. Still your idea is very inefficient, as you staff needs more time for walking, while they could be already working. This results in less work, until the next need for rest.

So you should rethink your layout anyway, even if an ai which takes time (needed for the walk) into account would be more efficient too: The shorter the walk, the later they start.

A chain breakes at its weakest part.

1 Like

Oh yes, I’ve been building a big airport in anticipation of multifloors and ran into this as well.

Perhaps they could use buggies?

Yeah, I’ll see what I do but once you choose to enlarge your airport and add more stands, you will run into this as travelling to farther away stands take more time.

Perhaps, but in super large airports, using a buggie probably wouldn’t be enough either. Also, passenger traffic may have an effect on the buggie’s efficiency.

Adding some staff rooms at strategical places should prevent flights being late 'cause of staff not being on time.

I’m sure real, large airports have multiple staff rooms at different locations too. :wink:

I’ll try that but I’m not sure if the other ones will be used

It should, as they already added consideration of distance into the job assignment already.

It may need some time until staff has spread over your terminal. And keep in mind that it (theoretically) can happen that the assignment ai starts to play ping pong if you are to close the shortage limits, if the only available staff is on the other side of the terminal.

demand in area A + no free staff in area A → staff from area B starts to move to A
demand in area B + no free staff in area B ('cause they are walking from B to A) → meanwhile free staff from area A starts to move to B

… with a risk for resulting in a loop. So I’d still advise a surplus of staff to make sure there’s free staff in each area.

I think the simplest solution is to use the zone tool to allocate areas for staff and have them stay there, or link a staff room to stands, etc. Same goes for vehicles - assign them to a lot, and the lot to stands. Unless the game can check for the closest vehicle, staff person first and assign it that person/vehicle. I do find it does help to have staff rooms all over the airport to reduce travel for staff between tasks.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.