Families and groups

Crazy thought, as your airport grows and grows you are less concerned with the individual traveler and how people move as a whole. Could pathfinding be scaled up dynamically to group people together (Outside of a family unit) to save on resources.

When you get up to international level airports, 100,000 people may pass through an airport in a given day. Simulating all those paths probably will be taxing, but grouping them in 10’s or 20’s for the sake of the simulation would cut down significantly on resources.

1 Like

Ya. Sort of like have 1 path for the group as a whole, and then each individual’s path is kind of plotted within the group as a whole (if that makes sense).
So for example a bus shows up with 20 passengers all bound on the same flight. All need to get to check in desk. 2 queues, so you get 2 groups of 10, each group going to 1 queue. But within the group of 10, each person will have his own movements. Then 4 security checks, so 4 groups of 5. Then say 3 people want to shop, 6 want to eat, they each form sort of a group heading towards the required kiosk. Etcetera.

Not sure if this makes simulation easier or tougher, but just a thought.

I wouldnt like that. Not only because it would introduce new pathing at an arbitrary number of people, but also because the challenge is to keep even a big airport efficient for the individual :slight_smile:

1 Like

Humans do the flocking behaviours though, there’s that video out there about the guy who designs airports based on passenger flows or something. I wouldn’t mind more generic paths for say different classes of passengers in large airports if it helped with performance issues.

Still say we should be solving the navier stokes equations for flow velocity when modelling the passengers as a fairly viscous but low density fluid. But I don’t think even the devs we hold in such high regard can achieve that.

Will we be able to see pilots and cabin crew walk through the airport?

Don’t think so Wille. Unless the developers added this as surprise, crew has not been implemented yet

Well, seeing how crew has similar pathfinding, when we see crew implemented, we’ll see family and groups implemented as well.

Groups would be a pretty outstanding addition to the game, not to mention the “Lost Child” event :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t know why know one hasn’t thought of this already :+1:

It was included in a few of the pathfinding discussions last year but never actually acknowledged as a thing

I wish I could put 100 votes on this one lol.

Wanted to cast a vote on this one but realized I already did year back in 2018 :joy:

2 Likes

It’s in the dusty corner until today

Um… what is EG’s Garbage bin?

1 Like

Wondering the same myself. it says there is nothing attached, or nothing found when I press it. of course from the EG part, it’s Elite Gamer, but it is also his trash can. hmmmmm… :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Don’t worry about it, it is just a forum glitch. You saw nothing :blush:

WOW this feature has 111 votes and I think this is one of the highest amount of votes on a non implemented feature. I also wonder when we will see these features to be selected to be implemented to the game :thinking:

2 Likes

And also one of the oldest.

@EG0611, I definitely saw nothing but a bunch of normal topics. :hugs: :hugs: There is only one feature that I can think of that has higher votes, and it’s connecting flights topic. :innocent:

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.