DevLog 82: Bug Fixing and Performance Testing

They know people are starting to get a bit that they are not making deadlines, so i feel like that when they say september they really mean it.

They dotn want to give a specific release date yet in a hope to not dissappiont if releasing by that date isnt possible, they said september, i feel like it WILl be september, unless something unexpected happens

Windows 7, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16 GB MHz DDR3, GeForce GTX 560TI

That’s not mid range :neutral_face: 16GB RAM is definitely not mid range.

3 Likes

RAM is dirt cheap. The CPU and graphics card are mid range.

that processor isn’t exactly top of the line

Lol the remarks now are more scathing than when they brought the news of postponement. :wink:
Not sure why though.
Yes they learned the hard way that nothing beats a few humans on the controls to really break things, but it’s obvious the process is working now.
They didnt postpone just for 1 or 2 bugs, that would have been silly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also the fact that they do this on their own, free time and not being paid makes it a tad more difficult.

So 1 more week will pass with bug fixings… And now I have no idea what I should do with my 1 week vacation…

2 Likes

I’m no computer science expert, but I believe what the game will depend on most heavily is your processor.

1 Like

I fixed this yesterday.

6 Likes

What are you planning to fix or implement apart from what you have mentioned in DevLog ?

How is everything going for the game?

Not great from looks of it. Idk even know if September will be realistic. Hope I’m wrong and being too critical.

1 Like

We are not going to implement anything new, we will basically fix all bugs according to severity. Once all critical are solved (which they are for now), we move to the high priority bugs, then medium etc. In the meantime testing will continue.

5 Likes

I’m not sure I agree, it seemed broadly positive as a Dev blog. Last week they unexpectedly identified several critical bugs they were unaware of following a speculative decision to test more broadly with different people and machines - yep this should have definitely been 1) part of their critical path for EA release and 2) scheduled much earlier in the process - but this is their first full game and they have no real experience in a project of this scope.

It now sounds like most of these bugs have been resolved and they are focussing on trying to identify if there are anymore lurking, and separately how the game responds at scale. I’m hoping they don’t get too focussed on optimisation because this is something they can work on much closer to the full release, most EA games are initially poorly optimised, instead focusing on new features and stability.

I can understand their absolute reluctance to give a sniff of a new release date, in case something hits them out of the blue again. I’d expect no announcement until the final decision to release has been made - so perhaps we will get a few days warning. I think things look in reasonably good shape all in all.

4 Likes

Testing a game for just two weeks with a few testers, will bring hundreds of bug instant when a greater spectra of persons ge access in EA. so for me this game is long long long away from release.
The game is not optimized and not stress testet we can read out of devblogs and forum posts.
So my expectations for a release before October at earliest, will for me be sign of release of a very buggy and untestet game.

I sure hope to be proved wrong, but at this stage im very worried.

1 Like

@Sunbao that is one way to look at it.

However, I believe that Olof and Fredrik have tested this game countless times, but countless airports, and have done a great job of bug smashing.

Any game will have bugs when it is first released - and this will be early access - the clue is in the word early. The game will have bugs, and it is the job of the early access players to remove these.

So, all in all, I believe the game will not be as buggy as you say. Yes, it will have bugs, but I don’t care. It looks an amazing game! :grinning:

But it is a free world. We can have different opinions! :wink:

1 Like

The problem is that you making product and testing it makes you blind.
Im sure they have testet a lot, but only in own patterns and on own computers.

Such test is simply to small that the few family and friend members test also show, and Olof and Frederik admits that.
But even after admitting it, they seems to not wanting to expand test to a serious size, to really get bugs found, and stability tested out.

I still just really hope that if there are concerns about releasing a game with bugs to EA (Something that should be expected, but I understand the reality of it is people suck and you dont want to get a bad first impression) the devs find a way to release it to members of the forum for testing prior. I think its safe to say if people are committed enough to have signed up and actually visit this forum, they are the ones who would be the most forgiving of bugs and willing to report back with them.

(Hint, even if you release a first alpha on the forum DRM free for free I doubt you would lose any sales. Who would be satisfied with a buggy incomplete game, especially among us on this forum in particular? Or just program in a kill date)

At first they only tested themselves. Then a week before release they added a number of testers. They are the ones who found all the bugs that made the developers postpone the release.

So they did expand. And they also wrote that they expanded the group a second time.

So i’m not sure what you mean :slight_smile:

1 Like