DevLog 81: Testing, testing and postponing

I implore you to take this time to only fix game breaking bugs, not to make the game perfect. Once September hits, you are late in the eyes of casual people on Steam who will remove from their lists and not be a buyer.

I would hate for you guys to lose out on sales because you wanted a flawless game at release. Make sure the game doesn’t break, ignore annoying things and fix post release. Who knows, maybe 10 days is enough to tackle all the big stuff and you can keep your word and it won’t slip past August.

What i mean by small stuff is essentially the entire change list with this devlog. Most of that while annoying will not break the game. Ignore it and fix later.

9 Likes

THIS. I think you would get 99% of people on these forums willing to do this

3 Likes

I second that

1 Like

still, can’t wait I hope that your revisions will go as smooth as the Great American Eclipse but other than that at least we won’t have a video game that released way too early and with many bugs cough sim airport ** cough cough ** also at least ill be able to get more of a great game than a suck one by a team of developers who rushed to beat a rather better game again cough cough SIm airport Cough*

4 Likes

I had a feeling this would happen tonight :frowning_face:

But understand why. Keep on coding guys! :star_struck:

2 Likes

You made the correct call.

1 Like

If I can say don’t try to add new features just get the game ready for market. Add features on updates later on. I would hate to see people leaving the hype train and very disappointed in the devs, and just think “well I just spend my money elsewhere since who knows when the game will be released.”

5 Likes

Hello Olof and and Fredrik and all the community,

I am a new member but certainly not new to following the development and all of you on these forums. I feel like I already know most of you very well haha.

Anyway I really just wanted to give the devs my support on their decision and my thoughts.

Although to many, this is disappointing news and as many, I have been waiting with great anticipation for this game. This genre and game is the the one I have been waiting for all my life!! I fully support the devs decision and wanted to share that. I thinks its so important to hang on until they see fit for release. This game is going to be huge, there is no doubt about that and I like many others I am checking in every day for that special day of release. This news is very sobering actually and has actually made me take a step back a little and think about the bigger picture.

This industry is an unforgiving one at times and I have seen games get destroyed by reviews (Probably rightly so, maybe others not so ) but if we talk about steam for a second you can almost see a pattern sometimes as soon as the bad reviews come in, the band wagon starts and then can very quickly can get out of control. It is a delicate business is all I am saying. The reviews will be a large portion and foundation of there future sales, so they need to get that right from the start. The community is huge already and would support the development anyway but there a lot of gamers on steam that dont really understand what and EA release is all about and a bad review in haste is all it takes from someone that doesn’t understand the process of EA.

Good things come to those who wait!!!
Patience is a virtue!!

Cant think any more quotes haha. Anyway glad I have now joined the community and no longer an armchair supporter!!

Good luck Devs keep going and it will be worth all your hard work soon!! You will get negative feedback from your decision but this is only because everyone is excited for this release but you will also get a lot more support from all your community. We understand your process. I also understand you may be getting a little nervous before release day as this a huge adventure for you but remember you will not be alone, we are all here to join in on that adventure.

6 Likes

I think it’s worth also noting that change logs at the end of every devlog, but particularly this one. They’ve solved a lot of bugs since last week which lends me to think that it was worth the decision to postpone, as disappointing as it is.

4 Likes

I can’t say I’m too surprised considering new features and rewrites that have been made recently. I hope going further until the delayed launch that ACEO is feature locked. Squash bugs. Get it working with minimal bugs. Save rewrites and new features until after ACEO hits early access. Possibly get a small number of trusted members of the community, maybe contest winners, to help test the game until release.

I’ll leave with a phrase from the games industry I will most assuredly butcher. “A delayed game is only delayed until it is released. A broken game is broken forever.”

9 Likes

Yeah… disappointed a lot but oh well… just do one thing for me @Olof and @Fredrik, don’t have a release date, not even a release month! Just release the game on a day when the planets align, you feel great, and you feel that the game is great! So don’t ever keep our hopes up with any months or days! Drop that game down whenever… Please!

5 Likes

Can i say that the support you guys are giving is out of this world?!

@Bigbigcheese haha let me simmer on it for a while

6 Likes

Common guys, we can all put our disappointment(s) aside and shed some light to devs… They’re as aghast as we are with all those sudden bugs! They need our emotional support as a community. The more “disappointed” are written the more discourage they will be, it’s human psychology after all. Let us give a shoutout to @Olof and @Fredrik for 2 years of great development! It is honorable of them to give their very best product for the community. Thank you for (by far) 2 years of honesty and bug squashing! Keep up the good work! :grin:

6 Likes

Disappointed but not really. It’s expected, given one of the last message you give (regarding how AAA also postpone the game).

Whelp, you should invest in a coffee machine, seeing how much hours would be needed for that bugbashing fest.

5 Likes

Well that sucks… I have 1 week vacation at the end of August and my plan was playing ACEO on that vacation from morning until midnight while creating bunch of designs and even working on modding.

Don’t add new features or change existing ones at all until release. Do the minimum required to fix game breaking bugs and that’s it.

As @GuardingGuards said, I agree with it and I still want to say that the stable build from June-July 2017 should be released before adding new features such as complex terminal layout or taxiways or repair-cleaner.

Anyway I know you guys working hard and I know the game will be amazing when it comes out (of coure it will be sweeter with real brands mod :heart_eyes_cat: ) but on the other hand we are tired of being audience instead of actual players.

6 Likes

I could never write a negative review of this game,but still there is a alot of people that will write negative reviews,but look sim airport,it started as a shit and right now has solved the majority of the bugs and has negative reviews but still the game had alot of sales,take your time and do the best for the community!

3 Likes

The doubts I have had since a few days, when I have always seen the new functions in last weeks, are gone true. Sucks a bit, thats true … but good work needs time. :wink:

In my opinion, this is now Important:

• Do not implement new features anymore (till the release only, seriously). Only that which is already impementiert. Whenever you add new ones, you open the Pandora’s Box of Bugs and catch many new and unknown bugs
  • Solve all major bugs
  • Expands the internal alpha circle. Maybe invite the forum leaders as additional testers
  • Run the game on many machines. Different laptops especially. (I see this on my DELL XPS 13. There is much thats not or not properly works, because of the onboard graphics. Despite a lot of power inside.)
  • And again: No new features!
  • Stay tuned to the code!

As @GuardingGuards writes. Published it Playable. Minor bugs are no problem.

@Olof and @Fredrik, You are great! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I think you also see that most of us, like myself, are disappointed but are behind you and are conducive and encouraging. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Well, Im quite good at predictions, once I predicted that ACEO will release on 31st August, turned out I was probably right, before that I predicted that something special will happen in future DevLog, then it came out and Fredrick got married. Now Im going to make a new prediction, ACEO will release on 5th September, I dont know why, but I can feel it. Fredrick and Olof can work really hard If they just solve the most game breaking bugs, and give like 10 testing copies to community members and let them test it for a few days maybe we can still make to August. May the Force be with you Fredrick and Olof.

7 Likes

I’m personally pretty chill with this postponement im on holiday till the 2nd of September so it doesn’t really affect me. It will be released when it’s released… Not much I can do about that apart from leaving it in the competent hands of Fredrik and Olof.

4 Likes

Having worked professionally in IT QA, it is always a relief to find a major bug before launch, even if it means delaying. My beta testers were my lifeline.

Your image is dependent on the quality of your release, not the timing of it. Steam reviews will make or break the image and, let’s face it, the vast majority of people who will buy this won’t care about the developer’s image. They will trash the game in the Steam reviews, get their refund, and never look back to correct the review once the bug is fixed.

As someone who is very much looking forward to this game (especially as a pilot), I am more so looking forward to having another excellent developer in the genre. For that to happen, we need this one to be a success. A month or three is going to do a lot more positive for the developer than it will hurt. Bravo on the tough call. We’ll still be here.

6 Likes