DevLog 76: Steam Direct Update, New Connections and Business Design Contest Winners

Will have to wait and see this baggage claim system because although I like giving control to the player this seems to restrict which check in desks can use which stands as you want to get the baggage close to the stand. Will have to wait and see how the desks are allocated too. Maybe connecting desks to stands?

Also congrats Frederik

Can you assign one check-in desk to more than one flight at a time? Eg: to two very small flights.

1 Like

Full steam (or rather avgas?) ahead! Excellent news :smiley:

Just a small addenda though: it may be interesting to consider other ways to highlight things in the new UI. If there are a few items the green lines work fine, but in bigger airports I think that the screen might become a bit crowded with all those overlapping lines. Perhaps it could be made so that check in desks baggage belts etc get contoured with green colour? Or maybe use numbers? Or a combination of all of the above?

1 Like

Agree with others regarding the lines. This always bugged me in PA when linking security cameras or wiretaps for instance. In a large prison it became a web that was almost impossible to detect. I am sure the devs can come up with a more elegant UI for this. Maybe a simple numbering system. 1B, 1C link baggage sorter with 1 checkin, 2B, 2C and so on, colors possible but some are colorblind.

Thanks for that. I get what you are saying. I’m wondering how check-in desks are assigned? Would the system take into account proximity to the gate? Or gate other means.

My question on number of gate desks wasn’t about check-in desks, but about the desk at the gate where people show their boarding pass. Are these boarding desks linked to stands in such a way that we can place two or even three boarding desks at the gate so speed up boarding? Or even share a boarding desk between two or three gates?

I like what you’ve done and interested to play it to see how it works. I also want to say I’m incredibly impressed with the attention to detail and realism built into this title, and the flexibility you are building into the code. It looks stunning too.

We know that trailer will come before release, but will you announce when trailer will come out ?

Nope, that is not possible and would mess up a lot of stuff. Is this even practiced in real life? I’ve never checked in at a counter which would accept passengers from different flights but then again as it turns out airports are very diverse in how they operate.

Thanks for the kind words! That would be possible to implement pretty easily I think, right @Fredrik? Although I have never seen a gate with three boarding desks I have seen two at a time. But the way the systems work right now building multiple check in desks would be a minor to medium fix, an hour or something perhaps.

I’d like to put “Available on Early Access Now” at the end of the trailer and so showing it before that wouldn’t work then, so probably no…

3 Likes

Thanks. Having two boarding pass desks at the gate could be a requirement of an airline contract if the airline flies larger aircraft. It would also set you up for priority boarding and first class and business class passengers.

Nope, that is not possible and would mess up a lot of stuff. Is this even practiced in real life? I’ve never checked in at a counter which would accept passengers from different flights but then again as it turns out airports are very diverse in how they operate.

Actually this is very common in my country. For example lets say there are Turkish Airlines flight at 7 AM and another Turkish flight at 7:30 AM from not a big airport. 1 check in desk with 1 employee on it accepts both flights’ passengers and their baggages.

1 Like

It is actually quite common nowadays for one desk to receive bags from multiple flights.

I’ve seen it for really small flights, like Loganair who operate small planes throughout the Scottish Islands. When there’s only a handful of passengers on each flight, it makes sense to have just the one desk.

But even for big flights nowadays, it’s very common for airlines to have a bank of check-in desks for all of their flights. In fact, it’s quite rare that they would split them up into their constituent flights (unless of course there is only one flight). For many airlines, they’ll have a row of desks that manages all their flights and checks in bags for all of them. I’ve done this in the past few years on Vueling (Barcelona), easyJet (Milan, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Prague), Virgin Atlantic (New York JFK), Jet2 (Glasgow), flyBe (Cardiff, Edinburgh, Birmingham); and I’ve seen it for other airlines in other airports too (BA, KLM, . Since the bags are all sorted somewhere in “the system” anyway, it’s perfectly possible.

It’s becoming more common because of the drive to keep costs down and the increasing propensity to travel with hand luggage only. Many passengers now don’t check anything, and with things like online check-in becoming the norm, the need for desks has decreased somewhat. There’s no point for the airline operating a desk or two (with the cost of staff) for a flight that’s quite quiet or hasn’t got a lot of passengers yet when they can have a row open all the time serving everyone.

2 Likes

Exactly, especially “baggage drop-off” check-ins are usually not linked to a certain flight.

2 Likes

Looking great, keep up the amazing work guys. This is going to be an amazing game! Super excited to play it when it comes to steam.

1 Like

Well, here in Spain, as others have said, airlines have a bunch of check-in desks so if you fly with, for example, Iberia, you will go to any Iberia desk, no matter what your destination is.

2 Likes

Well, here in Spain, as others have said, airlines have a bunch of check-in desks so if you fly with, for example, Iberia, you will go to any Iberia desk, no matter what your destination is.

Exactly same in Turkey.

1 Like

A slightly complicated solution to maybe solve the problem.
Assigning desks to airlines on an hourly basis. I know what you are thinking “PA guard deployment schedule”. Well, kind off.

But i think it is more realistic. In India also, desks are assigned to airlines, who usually allow check in for any flight on any desk (desks rarely assigned to specific flights.).
This is common for major airlines that operate many flights from the airport. Then there are a few “free floating” desks. These may be closed certain times of the day, or other times, are assigned to smaller airlines (or airlines that may have only 1-2 flights during the day) for the period of the check in of their flight. So for example, if 1 airline has only a morning flight, and another airline has only a night flight, they may use the same desk. Rest of the time, the desk may be closed or used by some other airline during peak hours. Complex stuff
As an airline begins to operate more flights during the day, desks would need to get reassigned to meet the demand.

On a side note, there is also the practice to share a single queue across multiple desks to prevent what seems like ‘the other line always moves faster syndrome’. Is that a possibility in this game?

You are right. They do not allow check in for multiple airlines simultaneously, but they do allow for it at different times of the day. See my comment above.

**Q:**Is it possible to leave check in desks unassigned?
Say I have 3 airlines operating from my airport. I assign 4 desks to 1 airline and leave the remaining 2 unassigned, would that mean that the passengers from the other 2 airlines would automatically use the 2 unassigned desks to check in?

2 Likes

Are we getting devlog 77 (and the last before release?) today or will it be pushed back again?

Easy to tell. If you don’t see the devlog today it’s been postponed:)

4 Likes

DevLog 77 will not be delayed! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

DevLog 77 will not be delayed! :slight_smile:

After I saw this, I feel like sometihng really exciting will come out on Devlog77.

fingers crossed

1 Like