DevLog 66: New Airlines, New Screenshots & New Performance

In this case we implemented a “special” solution to improve rendering performance, but LOD is also something we are looking into.

It means they are tired and wants to find somewhere to rest.

Correct, the Greenlight video is more prioritized. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

“Improved contracts by adding a rating system and made way for some fun gameplay aspects ahead” - This sounds really good, raise my hopes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice work! I see that you made separated restrooms? :stuck_out_tongue: Still one thing that brothers me, why is the luggage collection behind the security gates? In almost all airports I’ve been to, you can’t reach the baggage claim area as non-passenger.

In every US airport I’ve been to, (domestic) baggage claim is unsecured and non-passengers can totally wait there to meet people coming off flights. The exception is for international arrivals, where it’s before customs and therefore not public.

2 Likes

In the UK and all airports I have been to in Europe, the luggage collection is always in a secure area and before customs.

Yes, exactly this. We know that there are different configurations for different countries and so we’ve decided to settle for domestic flights having to use baggage claim areas outside security, while international flights must use baggage claim areas inside security. However, we’re currently only simulating baggage claim areas outside security since customs is not implemented, so it is not likely that baggage claim areas inside security will make it to the early access release.

This is by the way how it is in Sweden, domestic is unsecured, international is secured.

4 Likes

Hmm… Interesting… I’ve already been to many airports accross Europe and all the baggage claims were secured. (Except at Figari Airport (Corsica, France), been there a couple of weeks ago and it felt really strange that the baggage claim was unsecured.) In for example Cancun (Mexico) and Dubai, the baggage claim was also secured.

Update: while writing this a lot of extra posts popped up. I understand the choice of keeping it like this right now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suspect it is unsecured in USA so that the people that are meeting you can help carry bags, because Americans must bring all their belongings with them lol.

1 Like

Most of us seem to. Lol. I’ve only ever flown once, but all my stuff fit in my carry on. There was one person that had two baggage carts full and then one or two more full of frozen fish/meat. Hunting trip in Alaska I think is what he said. Lol.

1 Like

In North America the norm is the domestic baggage claim area is outside security. In Vancouver (YVR) the domestic baggage claim is outside security, but behind waist high walls with gaps and notices say “passengers only beyond this point” - mostly to keep the baggage claim area free of crowds. At YVR there is a domestic to USA transfer baggage claim adjacent to the US check-in desks and US pre-clearance - this is also unsecured. At YVR the international to USA transfer baggage claim is inside security adjacent to the connection to the US pre-clearance. This way International to US transfer PAX do not need to clear Canadian custom.

The international baggage claim is after immigration (passport) control and before customs. This is the only reason it is secured as you and your bag have to be cleared before leaving the secured area.

Need me to call your bank to speed up the paperwork? I can say it is for international relations as many country’s citizens enjoyment is being held up. If they expedite then Sweden will be put in a positive light.

3 Likes

In a lot of US airports if you do not have a ticket you need to wait until the person you are waiting for is visible and comes over to you until you enter the airport. This is to reduce homeless people in the airport, keep baggage claim areas uncongested, and also to make sure no criminals walk in to baggage claim and do you-know what

The thing is that in Europe, we have the Schengen Area that consists of 26 European states that have officially abolished passport and any other type of border control at their mutual borders. So there’s actually no immigration or passport control when entering the country. Still (in almost all European airports) baggage claim is in a secured area, so I wouldn’t say that this is the only reason that it is secured.

I think that it’s often just because the airports don’t want to separate Schengen and International flights, or just want to keep the area uncrowded.

It just makes a lot more sense to me that it is in a secured area. Otherwise, people can just walk into an airport, grab a random baggage and steal it… But it’s probably just a matter of habit…

It makes more sense for an airport to make the whole thing secured.
Building wise, because you don’t have to make different area’s and your baggage routing is the same.
You don’t have to split or re route anything, it can all go to the same room.

[quote=“JeremyK, post:33, topic:1617, full:true”]

I think that it’s often just because the airports don’t want to separate Schengen and International flights, or just want to keep the area uncrowded.

But that is why they invented cell phone waiting lots, or they tell you to wait till the person you are meeting is there.

[quote=“JeremyK, post:33, topic:1617, full:true”]
It just makes a lot more sense to me that it is in a secured area. Otherwise, people can just walk into an airport, grab a random baggage and steal it… But it’s probably just a matter of habit…

I think that is another reason they tell you to wait.

Omg! I Can’t Wait!!!

Great new Dev-Log and an amazing work :slight_smile:

The new airlines look amazing in-game!
Looks like everything is coming together nicely! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

How is the greenlight video coming along?

Do you need another set of eyes to make suggestions of what to add? Send me a copy of the game and I’ll help out }:>

1 Like

Don’t be demanding. They’re only gonna take people they trust for this purpose, if at all.

1 Like