Creating realistic airline routes

Hi this isn’t quite a mod, more of how do I edit this. This has constantly frustrated me. For example I am building a airport in Spain so the Spanish airlines work fine, however if I give say British Airways a contract how do I make sure they only fly to LHR or LGW, as in real life? How can I stop Ryanair, Easyjet, Norwiegen etc flying routes down to Africa, just sticking to Europe? Is there anywhere in the game files that the routes are kept in so I can change them?
thanks
Rob

2 Likes

There is no way (that I know of) to do that.

1 Like

The route system is generated random based by a huge database. There is currently no option to define routes for specific airlines.
There is a suggestion topic for this and I think the devs noticed that this is wished by manies. So there is hope that this might get their attention after Beta.

1 Like

Thanks, I had hopen it would be in one of the .json files. Thanks for the replies.

1 Like

I have been thinking of this alot, this works well for international routes; however if you have a US based airport, it becomes harder due to the amount of domestic airports in the region. Especially for modded airlines this becomes tricky without overloading the processing capacity of the game to generate real routes. I’m sure there is a way, I just can’t think of a good solution to solve “the domestic problem”

I had a suggestion about realistic routes back then:

So basically the idea is that modders can create a list of countries and/or airports that mod airline flies from. When you combine the idea above with current flight generation rules of game; you are supposed to get logical but not 100% realistic routes. Although it is still way better to get an Air China flight from Buenos Aires to your airport in USA.

This also creates a possibility that an international route by a domestic airline can be made. For example United Airlines flight from Guam to your USA airport.

1 Like

Perhaps there could be a bit more randomisation of the destinations served.

While I’m not expecting any of my airports to serve every other airport in the country, there could at least be some variation from game to game. in every new game I start, the airlines serve the same 6-8 airports every time.

Yep, and you can then end up with the same airline doing 4 flights to the same destination in an hour

Does anyone know if there are any plans to improve this feature of the game or if this is the finished article?

I find it’s probably the most immersion breaking aspect of the game as I would enjoy looking at where my flights are going to, but keep seeing improbable or immagianary destinations. I can understand when I set up in a small island in the middle of the Pacific I’m going to stress the systems functionality, but when I set up in the UK, some of the airports for domestic flights are laughable, could there not be a weighting on each airport in a country? Also it insists on domestic large aircraft flight, something I’m not aware of in the UK, which always goes out to what seems to be a default Amritsar (why not Atlantis, instead of hijacking a real place for the purpose). I’ve not tried any other mid to small nations but not many countries can support internal wide bodied air traffic, does it have to insist on this in “realistic” mode, could not the starting nation carry a flag that predetermines the types of flights on offer?

The Amritsar is a known bug in the AirportData.json where there is a Luton Airport misplaced in the Amritsar region of India (you can amend the .json file yourself to remove this, see “Other Fixes” in this post):

1 Like

The only known thing is that the devs added a country-tag to airline mods. That means we can set the home country of each airline. But it does not have any function yet.

Source:

1 Like

I also like the idea of defining possible destinations in the (modded) airline file. By that, everyone could configure every airline according to his/her own preferences.

Combining that with the adjustment of country names to “Schengen Zone” could lead to quite realistic routings and gate assignments at our airports (European perspective).

1 Like

But I’m always a bit concerned about those players who add mods to their airport and do not care where they actual fly. They added it because they like the livery. But then the the nice Australian regional airline wont appear on the player’s airport in London.

Then these people should be able to disable country base by either editing mod files or by game settings.

EDIT: OR there can be 2 versions of mod. One with country/airport/fleet settings and one without any settings :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for this, Amritsar is now Ascension Island which at least does take an RAF A330 or will do again when the runway repairs are finished. A whole world of possibilities has just opened up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been playing the game for a little over a month now and I like it, i know its still in beta but then realizing that the hawaiian airlines that i have on my contract was flying an A332 from my airport (chicago) to/from a california regional airport :flushed: and another b744 from another airline flying to/from my airport to a small airport (i never heard of) all the way on the tip of alaska :rofl:

What I suggest is how about we get to choose or sign contracts with other airports, like we buy the routes to other airport for the airlines? :thinking:
(maybe a super added work for developers but it would be exciting, more challenging maintaining routes/contracts/ passenger requests for destinations)
I’d be willing to pay 2x the price of the game if that happens :wink: