City-influenced Events

Description:

City events are events that happen to the city where the airport is based on. City events can bring positive or negative benefits to airports, such as:

1. International Event (e.g. academic conference, business fair, trade show, pop star concert, football game, etc.). During the start day and the final day of the event, all planes will be running with at least 95% to full capacity. Airlines also offer more expensive single flights in the 2 days preceding the start and the 2 days after the end of the event.
  2. Traffic Disruption (e.g. road closures, major road accident, etc.). Buses and cars takes longer to arrive into the airport (in effect, lower car traffic), so expect pax to wait longer for vehicles. Arriving pax also increase their propensity to buy goods or find something to eat to wait until traffic disruption blows over.
  3. Subject of Tourism Campaign. Airlines will offer a higher amount of larger, international flights. Departing pax have a higher propensity to purchase from shop, while arriving pax have a higher preference to use taxis during this campaign (reflecting attracting mostly tourists).
  4. Travel Advisory Warning (e.g. major terrorist attack in the city but not in the airport). The number of arriving pax sharply decreases in the first day of the announcement, but this number slowly increase until it reaches the default rate after 6 days. Airlines also shift to offering more single flights rather than recurring flights.

Why it should be implemented:

I think that city-influenced events would add some more dynamics to running an airport in this game. And the timing might be perfect given the “Panic” update also aims to add randomness in the game.

I would like to see a randomized event generator that allows: First priority to large cities, second to medium cities, and so on. This could give you notifications or an email for airlines and the city expressing special ideas that they would like happen at the airport. you could sign a contract, say they would like to host a party in your (Maple), lounge. of course this would give you a revenue, marketing, or a morale boost. Specific Airport Lounges
There could also be, as said above a decrease of flights or passengers coming through the airport in say a disaster or active terrorism.

I really like this idea, and I think what I said would only greatly complement and serve as a smaller outcome then the ones already listed above, which go into quite a bit of detail. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

When thinking of these events, I find it very important to consider the impact of these events on the player. With these events happening randomly, what if I am in the middle of a large construction project and don’t really feel like side-tracking myself for this event?

Ultimately the game should be able to play itself, with the CEO influencing the amount of success the airport has but not if the airport has success. The events should have an impact on the game, making less profit with a chance to make more if handled correctly, without forcing the CEO to stop whatever he is doing and deal with the random event.

I often find that in games where ‘random events’ force me to side-track I end up turning them off because the interruptions annoy me.

Could also be more on a advisory/negotiations/agreements/offers/etc basis, with that I mean that the city could advise (based on airport growth for example) to build more parking lots/taxi stands, etc. But also negotiate the option to build a highway or expand the existing highway in the city/your benefit, but then you could invest as well to speed up things, otherwise it will take 2 years longer for example. Or offer the option to get a big event to the city and if you agree you have to be able to handle X amount of flights/pax/taxi movement/etc, if you do not want it, because you are in a big construction project, it goes to the ‘rival’ airport in the city or to another city. Etc, etc. So also the option on a basis that you could opt-in to it instead of being confronted with it. On a ‘panic’ level, yes an accident/strike/roadworks/bad weather/etc can happen on any day of the week, so the airport will be affected by it, that’s life.

3 Likes

Which is why I’m suggesting these city-events as something that alters normal operations rather than disrupt them. I mean, if the city is subject to a travel advisory, what can you as an airport do? On the other hand, having an international conference soon in your city might mean you could tighten gaps between flights so you can slot in that additional flight or two. We will get the Panic update to deal with much more in-ground disruptions.

I like this idea, and perhaps this could be something your administrators can do for late-stage. Writing and sending proposal to the city for benefits.

I can see a lot of problems with this being an ongoing random thing, but I would like to see, possibly randomly determined when you start a game (would be nice if it could be tied to real world location, but that would take a LOT of work), seasonal fluctuations.
Using my hometown as an example, every weekend in August has some sort of citywide event, Thanksgiving and Christmas are heavy travel times, but in the months between, it is pretty dead. January is slow again, picking up in February, dropping off again in April, picking up in mid May and steadily increasing until it peaks with the events in August.
Having something similar to that in game, having to worry about working around the period of reduced revenue and the periods of having to manage large amounts of passengers, would be a really interesting game mechanic.

and if you are in america, 1 in 32 chance of super bowl being hosted and if you are in canada, 1 in 10 chance of the grey cup

[kiwikiller41]
and if you are in america, 1 in 32 chance of super bowl being hosted and if you are in canada, 1 in 10 chance of the grey cup<

My only problem with that is that there are large parts of the United States where there is exactly a zero percent change of there being a Super Bowl (even some rather somewhat major cities like Salt Lake City, Portland, and Orlando come to mind).

well it is only an idea

I think that’s why just a “Major Sports Event” would work better, make it a bit more generic and applicable anywhere.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: EG’s garbage bin

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.