Arrival and departure separation through doors

This was discussed in the Dev Blog 145 thread, might want to check it out too.

I think what MKH1020 originally thought of was not explained correctly:

The plan is not to have a one-way door, but to have doors that allow either departing or arriving passengers to pass in both ways, while for the others acting as a “wall”. That way, they wouldn’t have pathfinding issues and you could just place a little box with separate doors in front of the gate and everything would sort out fine because everyone has only one door to choose.

BUT

I think apart from the fact that the new Jet bridge should obviously have an odd width (symmetry for a wall in the middle, pleeease), I think the solution they came up with works just as fine. Therefore as much as I like the idea, I don’t think they will consider this necessary to add.

I guess we’ll just have to force all arriving passengers into an elevator for now… Hopefully narrow escalators will be implemented (for realism).

1 Like

I do not think we will get narrow escalators, honestly. While yes, you often see those, in the end they act the same way as a one-way-door, possibly trapping passengers and causing serious trouble at pathfinding. We will be given the tools to separate departures from arrivals, but anything that goes one-way just isn’t gonna happen I am afraid.

2 Likes

@DavidMarlor, Where did they mention this? a simple search for “one way doors” doesn’t bring up anything, seems like @Olof avoids this topic…

@MKH1020 you can check one way doors discussions on this topic and its replies;

Olof is not avoiding topic, he clearly states that having one way doors will bring more trouble to game play, game xperience and game engine rather than benefit. So that’s why they choose this idea.

2 Likes

I see, well… abandon the one way doors, then. As mentioned, there’s still the case for arrival and departure only, And well as narrow escalators… The 4 tile wide jetway is, frankly, ugly. I think it (and 3, and 5 tile wide jetway entrances) should be offered as an upgrade, if they’re unavoidable.

1 Like

This is the text mentioned by @DavidMarlor, if you need it.

By the way, how do I make strikethrough text?

The 4 tile wide jetway is, frankly, ugly. I think it (and 3, and 5 tile wide jetway entrances) should be offered as an upgrade, if they’re unavoidable.

That was discussed before and believe me I was also supporting 3 or 5 wide jetway entrances (with using 1 tile for separation as doesn’t hurt my OCD). BUT then someone realized and told me that; every terminal foundation is 4 x 4. If it is 5, you cannot fit it on 4X4 foundation in necessary cases, if it is 3, then you again get OCD by trying to fit something with 3 tile to 4 tile structure.

However this; can be aded maybe?

So that which 4 of tiles will be used for arrival and departure can be seen. The players will decide to choose one of them to build the separator. I would go and choose 1 of arrival tile. Maybe some player choose opposite.

5 Likes

Or have a single row of the queue line separators go in between? :wink: I don’t think it’s possible with how I suppose the game works with saving what is in every square and not what is in between, but it would be a quite elegant solution having a barrier with essentially zero width

Alternatively, and I believe I already saw someone mention this, you could extend the jetway into the terminal and split from the sides. This person also mentioned that it was hard to explain and should probably be illustrated, so here you have my poor illustrator skills:

Here there are no symmetry issues but it does enter the terminal a bit

1 Like

How about back to back window so it limits the entrance to just one block each with a two block divider. Seen lots of glass partitions in real life.

There are nice ideas but be advised that the solution has to be applicable to old save games.

How about back to back window so it limits the entrance to just one block each with a two block divider. Seen lots of glass partitions in real life.

That’s another way to use

something like that?

As double version it’s a bit ugly

If you rotate them do they put the glass side by side?

To be honest I have not played in ages as don’t want to start a new airport until the new update

1 Like

Like this: BBCode examples
More: BBCode tags reference

1 Like

1 Like

Here’s a visualization of the original hallway idea:

:arrow_up: Originally made by @PCR13 for dev blog 144.

1 Like

Ah yes, thanks for making a visual of my thought. You could also have the entrance be straight ahead as it would be now. Yes, I realize this could affect current saves but lets face it, some of the various updates have caused issues with previous saves that we had to make adjustments too. I believe it would be minor.

I also would suggest making this split entrance/exit an optional upgrade for the gate. Would make sense for a domestic gate where arriving PAX enter the same terminal area as departures to have the same gate setup as presently available. If you have a gate to be used for international flights, or want to set it up as most European airports handle segregating arriving and departing PAX, you could add this split entrance/exit.

I am curious of the developer’s thoughts on this concept; it would of course take additional work on their part but just might be solution to appease many different people’s wants and wishes.

Very nice to know that my work can be useful to other people. Thanks :smile: