Airport CEO Alpha 34 released (The R&D Update)

Does anybody know, what’s about “airline satisfaction” in flight planner?

seems not to be related to rating, and since A34 it is constantly at 0%, even if everything (except some dangerous baggage caused incidents) is running smoothly…

Getting very few flights from airlines is not a huge, but an unhandy effect…

I’m not sure it would be very realistic to build 50 small ATC towers and then be able to handle 500 flights per day. We don’t want to put in construction limits and some airports around the world have one or two ATC towers of different sizes (one usually handling ground control and one air) but we don’t want to open up for cumulative adding since it’s anchoring in realism would be pretty far off.

It’s mentioned in the object description, i.e. when you’re about to build it and review the description. I’m not completely against adding a panel but there wouldn’t be much else information on that panel so it’s something we’ll need to think about.

As I

That system will be replaced once the airline overhaul is completed (has been pushed to Alpha 35). Today, as mentioned in the ratings display, the GA rating impacts how much GA traffic you receive. The security rating impacts fines as you mentioned and passenger rating will, as of Alpha 35, also impact what businesses want to establish shop at your airport. This is the first public iteration of the rating system and as we balance it, fix bugs associated with it, and continue to complete the game more aspects and systems of the game will be hooked into it. It’s a process that will take a few weeks if not months to fully complete in a good way.

I agree, but that would be a nightmare to communicate to a new player both from a game play and UI aspect but also I would be unsure of how to properly implement it from a code perspective. Remember that we do not only have you CEO pros who hang out at this forum to cater to but also new and aspiring CEOs who don’t know the full ins and outs of an airport. While I of course can understand the criticism of the “simple” limitation the ATCT size, we argue that it’s a fair trade off between making sure that ATCT sizes have a purpose but also easy enough for everyone to understand. And like everything else, the number of flights limited are up for discussion as they are guesstimates and can be balanced.

Yes, this image is incorrect and will be replaced.

The philosophy behind Alpha 34 is making sure that stuff has a purpose, an impact and a place. For avid players who’s been with us from the start it’s been easy to understand that baggage, for example, has just been more or less eye candy but for all the other players we see, the new ones, everything that’s available in Alpha 33 but without purpose is difficult to understand. We haven’t changed any approach but we’re done implementing stuff without at least some form of purpose and as we finish the game, if something is completely without function it’s either going to get one or get axed.

That said, this particular discussion was centered around GA infra quality and GA rating and as I’ve mentioned a few times and which you also brought up:

1. This is the first public iteration and contains several bugs with a big impact, let us fix those first and then we can get together and discuss how…

2. … we’re going to balance things and make sure that they impact stuff purposefully without routing everyone down the same game path.

However, I do believe that the ultimate airport in Airport CEO, one that is worthy of an airport of the year award and that has a 100% rating, is comprised of a GA section. I’m open to disabling the score if you disable GA traffic, but then the maximum airport rating should be limited to 75%. Otherwise we open ourselves up to strange discussions regarding what the purpose of GA is beyond the initial stages of the game, what the purpose of a rating system is at all and why the game even would pose a challenge to a player. And those are fine questions, if the game is a sandbox simulator, which Airport CEO is not. A player can still run an airport without GA and have no negative impacts on any other parts of the game as airline and business, passenger and security are completely decoupled from the GA rating - just not win the airport of the year award. And this is interesting to me as it instead allows for building different airports that serve different purposes, airports that are big and focused only on passenger traffic or airports that are medium sized but includes everything and able to win airport of the year.

Bugs, most likely. Report and allow us to iterate! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve noted that existing contracts from prior games will show 0% and never change. New contracts work as expected from my perspective.

1 Like

Nope, I used a fictional one

1 Like

Only way to find out is to disable the mods, get a new vanilla contract in or rebuild the shop and see what happens.

I got confused as well so I made the tech tree myself. I’ve got most of it mapped now. This is just the management side.

5 Likes

Many thanks for your detailed and comprehensive explanation. It’s great to get these backround informations about your ideas and thoughts! I appreciate this very much from my first day as an CEO here!

Nevertheless, this information I like very much - but it conflicts with information, written ingame. There’s mentioned that average rating affects "amount of traffic your airport receives and who wants to do business with you." I understand this exactly otherwise as you explained, now…

I can adjust to not acheiving game’s “airport of the year award”. But I really would dislike to have less traffic/worse business contracts, just because of specializing on an commercial, international airport - which often IRL only having GA on a “medium plane size” base.

So for me perfect solution would be to introduce medium size GA, I really would love this… :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Olof, I’m still having major issues with the romote stands and the buses borading way too late. The buses always board on time but leave the stand around 30 mins before departure, then to takenearly 30 mins to get to the stand, to then do a loop around the stand which wastes upto another 10 - 15mins before they board the plane…it’s causing my flights to be delayed well over an hour on each stand :frowning:

The bus departure remote stand bug has not been checked yet, will be later this week as we’re prioritizing Alpha 34 features first.

1 Like

About to go play some more and noticed this before I opened ACEO:

About to hit 1000 hours of playing :partying_face:

18 Likes

I want to make sure I understand your point here. You are suggesting the limiting factor is the number of runways correct?

This is truly the limiting factor at airports, how many runways are available. It does get a bit more complex than just the number of runways as all runways are not always equal. Throw in some weather and aircraft needing instrument approaches and you reduce the capacity especially if an arrival runway does not have an instrument approach. Throw in further reductions to visibility and that could cut down on which runways are available for landing. Other factors will always have an impact on the theoretical arrival rate of an airport such as terrain and airspace as well as airport layout.

As an example, an airport with a dedicated arrival runway that does not have any conflicts with other runways, airspace etc and the weather is VFR, can handle a max of 50 arrivals in 1 hour. Throw in weather requiring and instrument approach and assuming an ILS with vectors to final, that capacity may drop to around 40 arrivals an hour. Throw in low IMC conditions and that number would drop further.

If the runway is being used simultaneous arrivals and departures, assuming VFR conditions and no other constraints and a continuous stream of arrivals and a line of departures, cut the arrival rate in half.

The point I am getting at as airport capacity is more a factor of the number of runways available for arrivals and departures. That rate can change due to other factors such as layout, airspace, and weather. We should not be basing this on the size of a tower. The only reason for a larger tower is to have more room for more controllers. That need will vary depending on the design of the airport. One tower controller can handle multiple aircraft to multiple runways in some instances. Again, depending on the airport configuration, you may have 1 controller for each runway and the airport divided up into multiple zone for ground controllers. The only reason to have more than one tower on an airport is generally due to visibility restrictions. A prime example is DFW which covers such a vast area which makes it difficult to see all of the movement area from the central tower. As a result, there are two remote towers closer to the outer runways to provide better visibility to those areas. Other airports do not have this issue and only one structure is needed which provides sufficient coverage.

Again, the number of towers should not be used to determine airport capacity, number of available runways should be the determination and a better measurement is number of movements per hour.

2 Likes

Anybody else noticed problems with the toilets?
I have a male, a female toilet in both the secure and unsecure area.
People (no matter what sex) use the unsecure toilet without problems, even the men wash their hands (but don’t dry).
But in the secure toilet, they enter the room, think of a toilet and then leave with a full bladder.
What’s the deal? Is the room too small?

(Sorry, the toilets are hidden under the property-window, but they are there just like the ones in the lower toilet)

1 Like

Did you tried without zoning the wall as toilet? That’s the difference I see on your screens.

You’re right, that’s the difference. I tried it but it didn’t help, thanks for the idea anyway.

It’s ACEO-21366

Just had to wait a bit, now they use it with @andyc’s help, thanks

1 Like

So I am understanding correctly that there is currently no way to get concrete taxiways/roads in the game - we are missing the concrete R+D?

Good evening! First update of the week and four more should follow. Here’s Alpha 34.1-1 with a fix for the concrete issues, some other random bug fixes and an initial fix for strange rating system regression values.

Release notes - Airport CEO - Version Alpha 34.1-1

Improvement

• [ACEO-21354] - Improved flight planner stand settings

Bug

• [ACEO-21040] - Construction overlay text replaced with object preview to avoid performance issues
  • [ACEO-21203] - 512x256 airline logos are not shown correctly in stand- and flight planner panel
  • [ACEO-21215] - First regional airport tutorial step not progressing.
  • [ACEO-21219] - Service technician missing in the staff panel filter
  • [ACEO-21270] - CEO avatar does not arrive to newly created airports
  • [ACEO-21310] - Runway possible to upgrade to concrete without researching it
  • [ACEO-21318] - Player starts with $3M regardless of selected starting difficulty level
  • [ACEO-21323] - All minor ratings can randomly drop to 0% over time due to faulty regression calculation
  • [ACEO-21325] - Bulldozing terminal foundation causes walls to remain
  • [ACEO-21328] - Structural engineering project not unlockable preventing concrete structures to be enabled
  • [ACEO-21343] - Security check-point can display incorrect unmanned warning icon
  • [ACEO-21344] - Initial need values for hunger adjusted to avoid issue with departing passengers not invoking eating or shopping behavior
  • [ACEO-21345] - Employees cannot always find a bathroom if the nearest one isn't available
  • [ACEO-21348] - Conveyor belt system tutorial pictures updated to match Alpha 34 requirements
16 Likes

First day back at work after a long vacation. Everyone else pitched in to get GA part of the airport built and open :joy: Lots of emails to go through and time to get the Commercial aspect up and running. Glad the CEOs are forced to get back to work!!

4 Likes

I’ve run into another bug where all of the people currently inside my airport are frozen, passengers and staff alike. I was curious why a plane was running behind schedule, and it turns out no one was boarding because they were all stuck. Strangely enough, people deboarding planes and coming into the airport act normal, but because all of my staff are frozen, nothing will function as intended.

I did submit a report in-game.

Good to hear.

I think the walls itself do not cause the issue. I do always build walls in the bathroom zone after it is placed.
In your case, the door caused the problem. That needs to be outside the zone.