Airline/airport languages

I was listening to a song in Japanese, and then in Korean AND then in German, and then it hit me! In X-RAY mega airport (it’s a good show) there is an episode in witch the stores change there pamplets, the information screens alternate languages, airplanes have there have there logos/names differ languages depending on where they are or going, and airports provide many different languages, the last most important. in Hartford airport, the flight information boards switch from Canadian French to English. What would that take form as?

Edit: also in DFW the security instruction boards and other information things are in Spanish some Asian language (I can’t tell!) And English.

Wait… Are you saying that the flight boards at Bradley International Airport ALWAYS change to that because of BDLs flights to Montreal? Or was it just in the show because I am a frequent flyer of Bradley and have never seen the boards change.

Not all airports do it, and I do not know about Bradley. Hartford dose it because the have regular flights to Canada, but Canada speaks a lot of English to.

A lot of departure boards display multilingual information. In the UK (on the whole, does vary a bit between airports) the information is displayed in English and the native language of the destination country (so Paris flights have French information, Dubai has Arabic etc).

Not quite sure how this gets incorporated into the game, though? First of all, I intend to play the game in English as it’s the only language I can speak to any degree of fluency (to my shame), and I’d hope that the language I choose is used in any airport I create in any corner of the world - it would be a shame not to build in airport in Sweden because I can’t speak Swedish, and it would just be silly. So, given that I can build an airport wherever I want and have it as an anglophone airport, the additional languages just seem a bit irrelevant.

1 Like

Yeah, that makes sense. I was focused more on store/restaurant staff being bilingual (personal shopping people) and the showing of bilingual staff like on there ID card, and an investment in bilingual information displays.

1 Like

Oh, I hadn’t thought about staff. Sounds really interesting. Even though incorporating specific languages might be difficult and impractical, I can see having bilingual/multilingual customer service staff as an advantage. It would improve customer service in the service, and the staff in question might attract a premium pay. I like it.

With signage… still not sure how it will affect us in this game? Places like Canada, and here in Wales, where there are multiple languages in use will already have the relevant signage in place. I’ve not really seen permanent signage used for languages that aren’t native to the region where the airport is located - so in Glasgow there’s no signage in Spanish or Dutch or any of the other languages of the airport’s destinations. Although, here in the UK we are pretty poor at communicating in anything other than English so maybe I’m picking a bad example.

Hartford IS Bradley…And I just checked, it is only flights to places that have large community of another language. For example, the flight boards for the Cancun flight alternate english and spanish, same deal with San Juan and Miami. They also have aids for people who speak no english.

Maybe I was thinking about​ somewhere else?

Will we see the signs? I mean it is a 2D top down view. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In Brussels Airport, most signs are even in 4 languages (Dutch, French, German & English)! But that’s probably because we have 3 official languages in our country… (Dutch, French & German) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I also suggest boarding calls using different languages to gain a bit more realistic feel.
For example, North America Airlines will use English/French to announce the boarding calls; Asian airlines will use their respective languages.
However, lots of gates broadcasting boarding calls at the same time might be a bit overwhelm, so reality might provide some insight to the solution: the closer you are to that gate, the more easier you can here their boarding calls.
Just a suggestion. :smiley:

Look at Air Traffic Controller / PA announcements

1 Like

This has been discussed on the forum already, so do keep reading the threads.

Just a suggestion :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.