Air Traffic Controller / PA announcements

I don’t really like the idea of that. It would be cool but really annoying after a while. ATC really isn’t the point of this game.

2 Likes

ATC is a vital part of the game, you have to upgrade that to be able to have a safe running airport. You also have to have ATC so you have a bigger aircraft capacity, meaning more income

2 Likes

Yes airports need air traffic control for a safe airport but they don’t need a tower even for commercial aircraft, and at a commercial airport.

2 Likes

They do need a tower.

At least there needs to be a room where the aerodrome controllers can have visual contact with the entire operational airfield in order to safely control the aircraft on the ground and on approach to and on the runways.

2 Likes

Smaller airfields might not have a tower. The tower has a number of functions

• It may contain radar operators. But smaller airfields might not have radar
  • It may contain approach / departure operators, but smaller airfields might not have this (or only a few hours each day)
  • The prime reason for a tower: It may contain ground operators, that handle ground movement (but again, some airfields may only have these a few hours each day). If you have 1 landing strip with a single taxiway, with only small aircraft (cessna and whatever) there is no reason for a tower, since you have enough visibility
2 Likes

Depends if you have a controlled or uncontrolled airfield, I’m presuming we’re gonna be constructing controlled airfields.

Uncontrolled airfields the pilots just announce where they are and make informed decisions about what to do.

2 Likes

Well actually there are commercial airports that don’t have a control tower. Like the Yampa Valley airport, in Steamboat, Colorado. It’s a Non-towered commercial airport with four major U.S. Carriers that serve the airport along with their regional affiliates that serve the airport. So commercial airports don’t technically need a tower.

2 Likes

And the airport can handle as large as a Boeing 757.

2 Likes

I’m not quite sure I get your point… There are small non commercial airfields with towers too…

2 Likes

What I’m saying is that commercial airfields that can have large aircraft land at the airfield like an Boeing 757 can have no tower at the airport.

2 Likes

I never said they couldn’t…? Though it is quite uncommon, if that’s your point?

2 Likes

This is definatly a cool idea, I think to add to it the devs could make sounds specific to the aircraft you are near to. For Example if your next to a B757 it’s way louder than an ATR 72.

1 Like

Yes that was my point. That it is ver uncommon to have commercial airports that can support wide body aircraft to not have an control tower.

1 Like

@Colorado1 and @Bigbigcheese, that is not what this is about. Like @me123 said, think the ATC should be basic, as if there are 3 runways with tons of daily departures, it would get SO annoying.

1 Like

Although our conversation may be more suited to the other ATC related thread it is still somewhat relevant to the topic. The ATC itself shouldn’t be basic at all, that ruins all the fun. But maybe it’s not so prudent that the conversations are blaring aloud. It would be nice to zoom into a plane at the gate and hear them request departure and route clearances and then push back and then taxi as it does the actions it’s saying. But it’s not entirely necessary and maybe the engine noises will be more suitable for the game.

I just find ATC interesting and would love to see the whole venture simulated.

2 Likes

I completely agree with what you said.

1 Like

Maybe a Depature and Arrival board would be awesome that can be hidden like the Outliner from Stellaris, that just highlights all the flights maybe like these Brand new Solari Board in Newark - YouTube

1 Like

As an object in the game, which might be quite hard to fit information onto from a top down perspective? Or something at the top of our screen which we can open or close at will? The latter of which I agree with.

For what ever reason this forum topic reminds me of a scene from Airplane!.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=o4LeTeeQArU

Lol.

It would be a subtle detail to the game to add PA announcements, but I believe it might have the potential to get annoyingly repetitive if not done right (limited/non-dynamic announcements). I know dynamic PA announcements would add some more complex coding as well as development time.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize this was already discussed as I posted a idea earlier but in another zone here. I would love to see the Control Tower have some AI as in if we zoom in near the runway, the CT will ask the plane about to take off to hold due to an arriving plane using that runway or it will say, flight XXX you are cleared for takeoff. If our airport is super busy, perhaps it will say to an arriving plane- you are to hold until further notice due to air traffic on the ground…then it says, cleared for landing.

If it gets annoying; what about “uncheck” the CT “talking,” in settings.

I bet Fredrik and Olof would see this challenger and how the game has been turning out…and create an amazing lively CT (control tower).